PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Deivis
E-mail:  deivis_fsilva@yahoo.com.br
Data:  20/SET/2009 3:15 PM
Assunto:  Slang1 and Introduction

Mensagem: 

Hi guys,

I've got this book, "1001 Gírias Americanas". Although the author claims that they are the most popular ones I've been discouraged by some Natives as to the actual usage of some of them on a day-to-day conversation.
Since it's been ages that I've been meaning to take a real commitment on the study of it - the way I can build a better understanding of this endless world of American slang - but keep putting it off shamelessly, I've decided that, in order to force myself into doing it as well as get the viewpoints of seasoned English speakers like you guys, I'll do my best to post at least five of them every other day.

You will find its equivalents in Portuguese, explanation in English and examples with it contextualized.
Thank you very much and let's have some fun:

A-1: Ótimo, "nota dez". The special effects technician did an A-1 job on the action scenes! My vehicle is in A-1 condition.

action: atividade sentimental em geral, "se mexer". It's Friday night, let's go to the nightclub to find some action. 2. ganhos. I worked hard as a business partner. Now I want my share of the action. 3. um encontro. Mel is talking to those women at the bar. He's looking for some action!

agree to disagree: concordar de permanecer em desacordo. Although our viewpoints were completely different, we agree to disagree. After a heated debate, we agreed to disagree.

alky-alkie: um alcoólatra. Johnny is drinking all the cocktails. He's a real alky. The alkies are sleeping on the street corner.

That's all for now folks.

To be continued.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 Slang1 and Introduction  –  Deivis  20/SET/2009, 3:15 PM
Slang1 and Introduction  –  Helen  20/SET/2009, 3:40 PM
Slang1 and Introduction  –  Deivis  20/SET/2009, 4:16 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K