LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  24/SET/2009 11:48 PM
Assunto:  slang 4

Mensagem: 

Belly up:  fracasso ou falência.

My budget went belly up these days...

I gave it as an example, because it´s easier to recall big organizations that go belly up.

Indeed, the imagery I have is that of a school of fish that is trapped into pollutation, they lack oxygen and quick they go belly up.    Think of pollutation in Rio´s Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon...the pollutation creates the rigth environment to overpopulation of algae, that in turn kill entire schools of fish.  Tons of fish shore up in it´s edges belly up and stinking...

bender-binge: beber por muito tempo e por dias seguidos.  I would favour drinking binge against bender-binge...         Of course, I understand that slang is slang, but the latter is more used and natural, I think.

Biker: Yesssssss!

Big brother: o governo.

Not only the government, but anyone that can spy you; overtly or subtly (mainly if he

has more resources to do so than you do to react or discover etc...).

Think about your brother that your mommy/dad would send to watch you at your parties, and to bribe him you gave some candies, or even small bribes...

big iron: computador grande e potente. only a big iron can solve this problem. We need a big iron to do the job. 

I had heard it less than often, but again, slang is slang.

PP.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
slang 4  –  Deivis  24/SET/2009, 8:50 PM
 slang 4  –  PPAULO  24/SET/2009, 11:48 PM
slang 4  –  CR  25/SET/2009, 12:03 AM
slang 4  –  PPAULO  25/SET/2009, 12:27 AM
slang 4  –  Dale CR  28/SET/2009, 6:33 PM
slang 4  –  PPAULO  28/SET/2009, 7:18 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K