PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Whatyoumaycallit
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  25/SET/2009 8:00 PM
Assunto:  Verb form

Mensagem: 

No, you’ve missed it.

Of course all languages express the same range of interpretations of events.

English does not have a subjunctive verb form – FORM – I’m referring to the form, not the meaning or sense.

I don’t know what changes you are referring to; I never said anything about reduced instances or disappearance and I have no idea what you are referring to by talking about reduction in use.

How can the meanings expressed in a language change? How can a language be used less to express a particular sense or meaning? It’s absurd.

English reuses the standard verb form – not a unique verb form. How can a verb form which does not exist disappear?

You are interpreting the English verb through your ‘latinate’ spectacles – Latin languages DO have a subjunctive verb form; the English verb is not Latinate, it does NOT now and NEVER had a separate, distinct, unique verb form to express the type of meaning for which a subjunctive verb form is used in Latin-style languages.

You say:

I’m sorry but that is just ridiculous – focus man! We are talking about form not substance – the form does not exist in English; the substance does; there has been no change, except to people interpreting a Germanic verb structure (English) through a ‘Mediterranean lens’.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Verb ASK  –  Nadia  22/SET/2009, 11:07 PM
Verb ASK  –  Dale-CR  22/SET/2009, 11:23 PM
Verb ASK  –  Tiago T.  23/SET/2009, 12:14 AM
Verb ASK  –  Subbo  23/SET/2009, 2:24 AM
Verb form  –  Sobbo  23/SET/2009, 2:44 AM
Verb form  –  Tiago T.  23/SET/2009, 11:29 AM
Verb form  –  Sotto  23/SET/2009, 7:24 PM
Verb form  –  Tiago T.  23/SET/2009, 11:00 PM
 Verb form  –  Whatyoumaycallit  25/SET/2009, 8:00 PM