ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  20/OUT/2009 4:56 PM
Assunto:  Follow up

Mensagem: 

Ah, I really am an airhead! I just recalled that I saved some difficult grammar points in my PC, so here some of them.   It´s good to know that when we make a mistake we learn from them (that´s why I don´t feel ashamed of mine and I don´t feel afraid of show my weakeness as well).

Here you go:

http://www.world-english.org/diagnostic_grammar.htm

Section1 Q6: The correct answer is: In the Gobi desert there isn't any grass.
   Your answer was: In the Gobi desert there isn't __no___grass   (my stupid no answer, ha ha...)

'Some' is used for affirmative sentences, 'any' for negatives and questions and 'isn't no..' = double negative and so is ungrammatical.

Section1 Q12: The correct answer is: After  she won the "Miss Universe" title she got a lot of lucrative offers.
 Your answer was:  After  she  ___has won____the "Miss Universe" title she got a lot of lucrative offers .
For a more detailed explanation of past simple and present perfect tenses, see Michael Swan, Practical English Usage #416 &418,p415 &/or Raymond Murphy,  English Grammar in Use, Units 13 & 14.

My good Lord, how could I make such a blunder? lack of attention...
+ + + + + + + +

Section1 Q14: The correct answer is
• If the world had ended on 1st January 2000, some people wouldn't have been surprised.
 Your answer was: If the world had ended on 1st January 2000, some people wouldn't have been surprised.
This is an example of the 3rd Conditional tense, talking about a hypothetical past (because it never happened.) i.e situations which are different from what actually happened.
If clause= past perfect tense, result clause= would/could/should +perfect infinitive .
e.g If they'd been there, they would have found out.
We'd never have met  if you hadn't slipped on that banana skin.
For more practice, see Raymond Murphy,  English Grammar in Use, Unit 39.

This one I scored, but the point was worth studying further, and their explanation was a work of art, a masterpiece!

= = = = ==

Same case, here.

• Section1 Q20: The correct answer is
• Even though Lady Diana is dead, people  will remember her as a 'fairytale princess'.
Your answer was:    • Even though Lady Diana is dead, people  will remember her as a 'fairytale princess'.
For a more detailed explanation of will, see Michael Swan, Practical English Usage #600 p622 &/or Raymond Murphy,  English Grammar in Use, Units 21-22.

Sometimes, I make mistakes for lack of attention, I lose the focus...

PP.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
English test, again.   –  PPAULO  19/OUT/2009, 9:08 AM
Follow up  –  Pudding  19/OUT/2009, 10:53 PM
Follow up  –  PPAULO  20/OUT/2009, 4:40 PM
 Follow up  –  PPAULO  20/OUT/2009, 4:56 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K