LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ayrbo
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  03/NOV/2009 6:24 PM
Assunto:  date & 'not have' qu

Mensagem: 

Following the quite logical sequence, from smallest to largest unit, you get:

Day / month / year

As in ‘1 November 2009’ – this is the preferred plain English usage.

I wasn’t aware that the English language had a military force, but apparently they like this one too.

I’m not sure on what basis the out-of-order sequence (month/day/year) is described as being ‘most common’ – there must be a footnote reference missing (or a disclaimer of some sort: ‘ltd to xyz regional dialect’).

Perhaps you can describe this miniscule change of sequence (mdy instead of dmy) as an example of a psychological feature of US English – one ofthe means by which they are trying their best to distinguish and distance themselves from their British origins.

It’s pretty lame stuff though – if the difference was in fact so great, it wouldn’t require a self-conscious effort to constantly point it out: “Lookma!! See how different and original am!!”“Yes sonny (groan).”

Any unique difference is not borne out by a bunch of miniscule language distinctions (most of which were probably invented by publishers &editors to push up book sales).

The apparent gulf of separation turns out to be a barely distinguishable sliver – more a crack in the footpath (Sorry: sidewalk!.. or do I mean ‘pavement’) than a grand canyon!

So stick with the simple and logical ‘day / month / year’ and even the users of fragmented regional dialects will get you.

Natural English: I would never say ‘Is there not a computer in your house?’

Instead ‘haven’t you got a computer?”

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
date / negative questions  –  eduarda  03/NOV/2009, 8:18 AM
date / negative questions  –  dale-cr  03/NOV/2009, 9:47 AM
date / negative questions  –  student_brazil  03/NOV/2009, 2:45 PM
date / negative questions  –  dale-cr  03/NOV/2009, 5:34 PM
 date & 'not have' qu  –  Ayrbo  03/NOV/2009, 6:24 PM
date & 'not have' qu  –  dale-cr  03/NOV/2009, 9:15 PM
To Dale..  –  Jazz  09/NOV/2009, 1:06 AM