ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Fran
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  10/DEZ/2009 12:00 AM
Assunto:  wish would?

Mensagem:  You can say:

I have to go on a business trip on Sunday. I am sorry about it. I wish I could stay home / I wish I didn't have to go on this business trip.

I am going on a business trip on Sunday.  I am sorry about it. I wish I wasn't going / I wish I weren't going on a business trip on Sunday.

At the moment of making a decision, use 'will'. Once you have made the decision, talk about it using 'going to'. 
http://www.englishgrammarsecrets.com/goingtoorwill/menu.php

wish + I + weren't = were(n't) with all grammatical persons in a hypothetical, conditional sense, with or suggesting IF

I wish I weren't going but I am.(formal)
I wish I wasn't going but I am. (informal)
--------------------------------------------------------

The verb to wish

The verb to wish is followed by an 'unreal' past tense when we want to talk about situations in the present that we are not happy about but cannot change:

• I wish I had more money (=but I haven't)
  • She wishes she was beautiful (= but she's not)
  • We wish we could come to your party (but we can't)
When we want to talk about situations in the past that we are not happy about or actions that we regret, we use the verb to wish followed by the past perfect:
  • I wish I hadn't said that (= but I did)
  • He wishes he hadn't bought the car (= but he did buy it.)
  • I wish I had taken that job in New York (= but I didn't, so I'm stuck in Bristol)

NOTE: When we want to talk about situations we are not happy about and where we want someone else to change them, we use to wishfollowed by would + infinitive:

• I wish he would stop smoking. (= I don't like it, I want him to change it)
  • I wish you would go away. (= I don't want you here, I want youto take some action)
  • I wish you wouldn't squeeze the toothpaste from the middle! (= I want you to change your habits.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How can I complete this sentence?

I´ll have to travel on business on Sunday and I´m sorry about this. I wish I  ...............

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
wish would?  –  Leandrinho  09/DEZ/2009, 10:35 PM
 wish would?  –  Fran  10/DEZ/2009, 12:00 AM
wish would?  –  sh..w..c..ould  10/DEZ/2009, 12:00 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K