ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  13/DEZ/2009 10:51 PM
Assunto:  Equivalência entre academias

Mensagem: 

Hi, Marcio, indeed I had offered some information about the American one.

It´s true what you said, the Brazilian Academy of Letters (ABL in Portuguese) has a code dated back to 28 January 1897.

Wether it being old or not, I don´t know how this works.  For instance the American Constitution is old but its ammendments allow the country catch up with the new times, so being old isn´t a problem in itself.

I try not being inclined to compare them in the sense of suggesting changes, once the countries have different realities, I am not close to the decisory staff (so my judgement may or may not have weight there), and I am simply a learner of language.

If I had to point something out, offer my humble pov, it would invest in (new) authors, and offer prizes to the good ones.

That´s right, new ideas are welcome (provided that they improve our culture, language and literature), and I think the less members the Academy the more the chance of killing some good brand-new ideas.  

On the other hand, a massive access of new members could lower standards a bit.

From what I read in the site, the membership is very well representative of Brazil´s great culture and diversity.   

Then, maybe we might have some more of the ilk of Carlos Heitor Cony, Evanildo Bechara, João Ubaldo Ribeiro, for instance...but let´s think if they allowed many more members...would be easier wedge many more guys in it like Ivo Pitanguy (whom I fail to see what he has to do 'Letras').     Nothing against him, of course, I am only making a point.

PP.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Equivalência entre academias  –  Márcio Farias  12/DEZ/2009, 8:46 PM
Equivalência entre academias  –  PPAULO  13/DEZ/2009, 1:36 PM
Equivalência entre academias  –  PPAULO  13/DEZ/2009, 1:42 PM
Equivalência entre academias  –  PPAULO  13/DEZ/2009, 1:50 PM
Equivalência entre academias  –  Márcio Farias  13/DEZ/2009, 7:55 PM
 Equivalência entre academias  –  PPAULO  13/DEZ/2009, 10:51 PM
Equivalência entre academias  –  Márcio Farias  14/DEZ/2009, 10:03 AM
Equivalência entre academias  –  PPAULO  15/DEZ/2009, 12:20 AM