PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  02/JAN/2010 1:14 PM
Assunto:  spending

Mensagem: 

Hi BPE!

I answered it in a hurry, so I got it right even without seing first in the Brazilian Web sites.

But I have seen them just now; if you have some spare time, please take a peek at:

http://myhumps.traduzidas.alanismorissette.letrasdemusicas.com.br/
http://letras.terra.com.br/black-eyed-peas/191771/traducao.html

This is music, so musicians and singers have a special lingo of their own; hence your

surprise.   But, if you are going to read novels and hear music (mostly American ones) be ready to learn or be acquainted  with suchlike expressions, okay?

Romantic musics, of course make less use of these expressions, they use more plain English than, for instance, rock/funk/pop/charm singers (the list goes on and on, for ever...)

It worth noticing that some Brazilian courses/teachers don´t encourage learning from music/novels/mainstream mags/chat rooms (they say doing so, they do more harm than good to your English).   Be warned then!

I myself, had plenty of trouble with that, when I was in an English course in Rio; I personally think that is up to the learner.  

I must admit that that sometimes they MAY (OR NOT) hinder the learning process, once you learn some "sub-standard" English expressions and you can´t use them in a, say, test or exam.

I take responsibility for my learning, so I go everywhere I want to. But don´t please don´t understand that I am encouraging you to parrot my style (e.g. of writting/learning) or everyone´s else.

Back to the crux of the initial question, the expression do exist as Pat have point out.

PP.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
spending  –  Black Pissed Eyes  02/JAN/2010, 7:07 AM
spending  –  PPAULO  02/JAN/2010, 7:52 AM
spending  –  BPE  02/JAN/2010, 8:42 AM
spending  –  pat  02/JAN/2010, 12:06 PM
 spending  –  PPAULO  02/JAN/2010, 1:14 PM
spending  –  PPAULO  02/JAN/2010, 1:25 PM
spending  –  pat  02/JAN/2010, 6:16 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.