ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  José Roberto
E-mail:  josezambon@terra.com.br
Data:  18/FEV/2010 9:57 PM
Assunto:  question - Simple Pefect

Mensagem: 
My question is about the most appropriate "clause" to be used with the Present Perfect Continuous.

I have an intermediate grammar book called Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy which is actually very simple.

I have gone out a lot with these two girls ( it implies that you might still go out w/ them) / but just of last week I don't feel good around them anymore.

Present Perfect Clause + Simple Present; is that correct?

If I got it here, the question is the limitied aspect of Perfect forms, more precisely, when it comes to present Perfect, if you link A (any past event) and B (the moment now) you have to pick Present Perfect.

I have gone (OR have been going) out a lot with these two girls, but I don't feel good with them anymore. (The second clause does not have a starting point it is simple a fact)

I have gone (OR have been going) out a lot with these two girls but just of last week I didn't feel good around them anymore. (The second clause is fact about a past event, when you started not enjoying their company anymore.)

or

I have been going out a lot with these two girls but since last week I haven't felt good around them.

Present Perfect Continuous Clause + Present Perfect Clause, is that okay?
Comments anyone? 

You can build a sentence like:

I have been working for the same company, it didn't bother me, but since the last events (I saw/I've seen) I haven't felt the same as I did.

You are coordinating two sentences (you can coordinate more if you like) with different starting points, anyway you will be linking events from the past up to the present moment, or a native speaker will have this picture in their mind if they come across such a sentence. 

JR

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Simple Pefect  –  Nauria  18/FEV/2010, 2:46 PM
Simple Pefect  –  Josi  18/FEV/2010, 3:32 PM
Simple Pefect  –  Sidney  18/FEV/2010, 5:18 PM
Simple Pefect  –  Nauria  18/FEV/2010, 5:35 PM
Simple Pefect  –  José Roberto  18/FEV/2010, 8:03 PM
question - Simple Pefect  –  Fran  18/FEV/2010, 9:07 PM
 question - Simple Pefect  –  José Roberto  18/FEV/2010, 9:57 PM
question - Simple Pefect  –  orlando  18/FEV/2010, 10:30 PM