PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Fran
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  05/MAR/2010 4:04 PM
Assunto:  to Sidney, how to motivate other

Mensagem: 

Sid,

What got me going and helped me learn English was a personal taste for the language, I really wanted to understand the songs I used to listen to, and always envisioned myself living abroad. Also my Math grades were so lousy I had to find some ground I could have good grades : ) But my main motivation was trust and an almost crazy certainty that I would have a chance to live in the U.S. I just had no idea how.

but why people don’t put some time on it to really learn the language? They should set themselves a goal…something like, by the end

of April I will have learned the simple past, the present continuous, the irregular verbs. Why is so difficult to do it?

I think that in our Brazilian culture people are not taught that it is okay to be self-taught. My father in law never liked sports but he always enjoyed reading something, writing poetry, and by the time he was in his mid 20's he already knew enough English to guarantee himself a job in Paranagua Port in Paraná, he worked in a warehouse, he read and filled out papers in English.

BTW, my father-in-law has had no formal education, this was over 50 years ago. Then in the 70's a good friend of his invited him to translate books and documents and he did that for over 20 years, the only thing I see which I considered negative is that he never formalized his knowledge, he never got into a translation college or things like that. He could have had a lot of success but I also understand he had his family welfare as his top

priority and he sacrificed for that.

I hate when I don’t know things…I feel great about learning stuff….maybe my discipline comes from music. When I started

to play sax my teacher told me. “The only way you can play well is to study music theory”. And this is not always fun…like grammar

sometimes it can be really boring study that. But once you have a goal…there’s no back down.

You made a very good point, music has a tremendously important role in learning and in mental development.

I wish people had this eager for learning. Not only languages but all kind of stuff. I worked with a lot Mexicans when I first came

to Canada. Even though I wasn’t all happy about that, I saw one opportunity to learn some Spanish. 

I met this lady who had lived for 10 years in the U.S. she was accompanying her family, did menial jobs, barely spoke any English.

I asked her if she knew Spanish, if had learned at least Spanish and she said she thought it was horrible to understand Spanish.

Well, sometimes people create their own mental blocks and that prevents then from learning a variety of things in life.

For me it is "inconcebível" Kkkkk strong word

For me it is unacceptable to hear somebody say that it is hard to learn English. Oh, my gosh, we have to tell them to just look around, get on the internet and start going from there.

YouTube has so much stuff, it is unbeliavable, the amount of ESL stuff that YouTube has generated.

Maybe we could spread the word that people can go to certain channels on YouTube and start from there.

There are many options but it does require personal effort!

Have a great weekend!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 to Sidney, how to motivate other  –  Fran  05/MAR/2010, 4:04 PM
to Sidney, how to motivate other  –  Sidney  05/MAR/2010, 5:26 PM
to Sidney, how to motivate other  –  PPAULO  06/MAR/2010, 5:00 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K