PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Sidney
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  05/MAR/2010 5:26 PM
Assunto:  to Sidney, how to motivate other

Mensagem: 

Hey Fran,

It’s so true…I was just chatting with a friend here at work and she told me that she wants to learn some Portuguese.
Now the first thing I’m asking people is “Do you know what ‘parts of the speech’ does mean?” I think that’s the very first
thing we should learn in our own language. What’s the function of a verb? What an adjective is? Most people don’t remember
or just don’t know those things in their own language. When it comes to learn a new language, it’s good to know those stuff.
How can one explain something like “in this case the adjective follows the verb” if the person has no idea what an adjective is…

Yeah....maybe is a cultural issue. I’ve heard people here saying things like “I’m going to complete that by the end of the summer”.
Once the summer here is short one can have an idea that it’ll be happening sometime soon.

I know some Brazilians that live here for more than 10 years and just can’t speak English. Which brings a whole new discussion if just
live abroad is enough to learn the target language.

Part of my new year’s resolution is to improve my English. Even when a close friend told me “Sidney you’re never gonna talk like a Canadian”.
I could be rude and told him, “Since I don’t speak like you I’m happy”…but I just ignored the poor comment. I’m still learning… ;)

Youtube is awesome!!!! Like 30 years ago should be hard to learn a new language. Now you can be overwhelmed with so much info.

Well, the only thing I think we can do is hope for the best. For this reason I’d only believe in a English school if they interviewed the student
and see if they can qualify to study there….like in Harvard…”Sorry you are not accepted!”….LOLOLOL

Great weekend for you too,

Sid.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
to Sidney, how to motivate other  –  Fran  05/MAR/2010, 4:04 PM
 to Sidney, how to motivate other  –  Sidney  05/MAR/2010, 5:26 PM
to Sidney, how to motivate other  –  PPAULO  06/MAR/2010, 5:00 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K