ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  10/MAR/2010 9:11 PM
Assunto:  In-flight magazine link.

Mensagem: 

Hi, Dan.   Glad that you liked it, indeed I just shared it/them unpretentiously; not knowing that it such matter would be so popular with you both.  Nice that you let me know.

Hello Sidney,
Since you like aviation stuff, there goes a blog from a pilot, this guy is a "poet"! if one is a pilot he/she is going to know what he is talking about! Plus, even if you are not one maybe you problaby will understand without much of an effort, so easily write about his plane (named fi fi, like it was a pet, indeed, it´s a toy of hundreds of tons!)        I found it, at the time I was searching something about the
Air France accident. I will come with aviation stuff every now and then.
    There are plenty of interesting stuff, but some links I decided not divulge now, because many could think that´s a morbid obssession.   For example, the sites that deal with aviation accidents, there are some ones with ATC live conversation till the end of the (doomed) trip.  And there are this site, describind daily reported accidents all over the world:
      http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/Month.asp  

One can ask, why so morbid curiosity? if you are a pilot, mechanic or air controller, maybe you see it  in a different way.  Since you can take advantage, by

trying avoid the mistakes made by others; or by studying what others pilots or air controllers did to turn in an incident what could be an accident.

Now to the more pleasant side of this, enjoy them.     PP.

Ah, one brother of mine is a collector of stuff aviation-related, he dreamed of to be a pilot someday but he took another road. He is not frustrated, tough, the hobby remains!

http://www.aviationexplorer.com/    (for photoes, airplanes´ history, and about the 'models' of planes etc)

http://flightlevel390.blogspot.com/      (problably you will like it, give it a whirl, will you?)

Position: Runway 34 Right, KSLC (Salt Lake City)
Altitude: Six feet above the asphalt; first bounce
Groundspeeed: 150 mph (130 kts)
Equipment: A319
Pax-on-Board: 120
Airborne, briefly...

I had not made a bad landing in months, and was starting to think maybe I really am the landing King in the Electric Jet. Bad weather, high winds, heavy aircraft, no problem... I have been touching down smoothly. You know, I might be able to advise factory test pilots how to land this thing.

We descended through 14,000 feet of turbulent, moon-lit clouds before we could see the lights of Salt Lake City. Approach control pointed out a single engine Cherokee with an instrument student and instructor pilot tracking the directional radio beam (localizer) to the same runway we will land on; the controller is taking us over and to the left of the Cherokee, on a parallel course.
Fi-Fi is clean, i.e., no flaps/slats and cutting through the cold night air at 280 mph. The approach controller removed all speed restrictions from the arrival, obviously to get us ahead of the light aircraft. Engines are at idle thrust; I am using gravity for thrust, trying to build my descent profile with small pitch corrections and judicious use of the wing spoilers. When my bio-rhythms are in sync with Fi-Fi's electro-rhythms, I can usually leave the engines at idle thrust until the five mile fix on final approach, that is if the approach controller can let us descend without interruption.

We overtake the Cherokee from seven o'clock high and quickly move into their eleven o'clock position. The instructor pilot confirms that he sees us; approach control clears us for the visual approach. We are still moving like the proverbial bat out of you know where... This is where calling for landing gear down might be a good idea.
Over the outer marker, currently known as glide slope intercept, with gear down and locked, flaps/slats fully extended, and engines loafing slightly above 35%... The Cherokee is five miles behind us. Life is in the "Good Zone."
Tower reports winds blowing across the runway forty degrees right of centerline at fifteen knots. Piece of proverbial cake! I will now demonstrate to my young co-pilot, a former Navy P-3 pilot, how the gray hairs do it.
At fifty feet above the runway, I notice Fi-Fi is drifting right of centerline. Uh-oh, that's not good...

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
In-flight magazine link.  –  PPAULO  09/MAR/2010, 10:35 PM
In-flight magazine link.  –  PPAULO  09/MAR/2010, 11:21 PM
In-flight magazine link.  –  Dan  10/MAR/2010, 8:59 AM
In-flight magazine link.  –  Sidney  10/MAR/2010, 10:35 AM
 In-flight magazine link.  –  PPAULO  10/MAR/2010, 9:11 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K