PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Sidney
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  12/MAR/2010 12:26 PM
Assunto:  Fear of speaking in a second language

Mensagem: 

Hi everyone,

I was “googling” for some info about language acquisition and I found a text talking about the “fear of speaking a second language”.

I’ve noticed that some people just can’t talk because they panic when they have to speak another language. As the text says, most
of the time this is not lack of skills but some kind of fear. Which fear is that?

I remember in Brazil when I was studying English I met this American guy on my workplace. He was trying to talk to me. But
everything I knew just “poof” disappeared! My hands were cold and sweating. I was completely choked!

I wondered if it would happen at all times. When I move to Canada, as soon as I got off the plane people were talking to me.
I was feeling more comfortable. When do we “break” this fear of a foreigner? I did but I don’t know how or when it actually happened.

Why do we have to be afraid even in Brazil? English speakers come to Brazil and they assume that everybody speaks English.
We do our best and sometimes they complaint about our accent. We think that’s funny when we see foreigners struggling to speak Portuguese.
They think we are stupid when we’re struggling to speak English. Do you think this also might be a cultural problem?

Sid.

P.S. Link: http://ask.metafilter.com/75610/Fear-of-speaking-in-a-second-language

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 Fear of speaking in a second language  –  Sidney  12/MAR/2010, 12:26 PM
Fear of speaking in a second language  –  PPAULO  12/MAR/2010, 9:52 PM
Fear of speaking in a second language  –  Sidney.  15/MAR/2010, 9:36 AM
Fear of speaking in a second language  –  PPAULO  18/MAR/2010, 9:07 PM
Fear of speaking in a second language  –  PPAULO  18/MAR/2010, 9:15 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K