ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  18/MAR/2010 9:07 PM
Assunto:  Fear of speaking in a second language

Mensagem: 

Maybe it is of some use to you, your wife, and those friends of yours.

Perhaps it has something to do with fear of speaking in public in general, so some strategies could be applied to fear of speaking in English (on the phone or to an audience (of  one, two or many more people).

Some may used to phone calls and others may be used in person talking. 

Then, some strategies to overcome the fear of speaking in public:

Pretend that you are confident. Pretend that you belong up there in front of the class. You own the class, baby. Trust me. You'll be surprised how much more confident you actually feel when you pretend. Besides, projecting confidence is an important part of public speaking, so these are good things to practice. Here are some ways to project confidence:
 -Speak loudly. (not roaring, I shall say)
-Speak slowly.
-Stand up straight (but not too rigid, or you'll look like Al Gore). If you have a podium, don't lean on it.
-Make strong eye contact with your audience. This is one of the more difficult parts of public speaking, but do the best you can.
-Project enthusiasm. Don't be afraid to go a little overboard. Think of how much more credible your enthusiastic professors sound than your bored ones.
-Never giggle. Ever. Well, maybe if you're giving a speech about giggling, but even then, giggle in moderation.
-Avoid disclaimers. Disclaimers are statements such as, "I know this is a really dumb topic, but..." or "I know this isn't a very good visual aid, but..."
-Dress nicely. A business suit is probably not necessary for a public speaking class, but be sure to dress like you take yourself seriously. No baseball caps, ever. Even if you're giving a speech about baseball.

Finally, relax.
    -Take deep breaths. You'll be surprised at how well this works.
    -Avoid caffeine or any food or drink that makes you jittery. Drink something that relaxes you, like decaffeinated tea.
     -The night before (the minute before a call), close your eyes and visualize yourself giving the speech and everything going well.
     -Make friends with your classmates, and you'll feel better about speaking in front of them. Make friends with your teacher too.
      -Keep things in perspective. You do much more dangerous things every day, like driving a car or crossing the street. Chances are you've already gone through some stressful or dangerous experiences in your life, and you made it through, right? 
     -Keep in mind that you rarely come across as nervous as you really feel. Unless you're shaking and stammering, the audience probably won't know how nervous you are.

-Just do it. Speak. Speak more. The more experience you have with public speaking, the less nervous you will feel.

-Reduce Stress: The most fearful moment of any presentation is the one minute before your stage entrance. Use the tactic of elite athletes by visualizing a positive outcome and using deep belly breathing to reduce stress and build confidence.

Review Of 11 Hidden Causes Of Public Speaking Stress
Thinking that public speaking is inherently stressful (it's not).
Thinking you need to be brilliant or perfect to succeed (you don't).
Trying to impart too much information or cover too many points in a short presentation. 
Trying to please everyone (this is unrealistic).
Trying to emulate other speakers (very difficult) rather than simply being yourself (very easy).
Failing to be personally revealing and humble.
Being fearful of potential negative outcomes (they almost never occur and even when they do, you can use them to your advantage).
Trying to control the wrong things (e.g., the behavior of your audience).
Spending too much time overpreparing (instead of developing confidence and trust in your natural ability to succeed).
Thinking your audience will be as critical of your performance as you might be.

I think it is useful, some of them worked for me!

PP.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Fear of speaking in a second language  –  Sidney  12/MAR/2010, 12:26 PM
Fear of speaking in a second language  –  PPAULO  12/MAR/2010, 9:52 PM
Fear of speaking in a second language  –  Sidney.  15/MAR/2010, 9:36 AM
 Fear of speaking in a second language  –  PPAULO  18/MAR/2010, 9:07 PM
Fear of speaking in a second language  –  PPAULO  18/MAR/2010, 9:15 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K