PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Sidney
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  19/MAR/2010 1:40 PM
Assunto:  suggestions wanted

Mensagem: 

Hi Fran,

I would go with phonetics first. I believe it’s not only about repetition but also how the sound itself is produced. The R sound, the S sound the nightmare TH sound
most of the time pronounced as T for Brazilians. Also the long vowels as in “Sheet”,. “Beach” not only that but simply stuff as the number 2. Most of the people
I have met (Brazilians) when they say the number 2, they don’t pronounce it long enough like tooooo.

Tongue twisters…can’t go wrong with those…also the ED ending for verbs. I had a lot problem with them. I used to say things like “USED” instead of “UST” or
even “HELPED” instead of “HELPT”.

Another tip would be a Rhyme dictionary (oxford has a great one).

Least but no least, I would read or learn about intonation. The up and down of phrases. People has to pay attention how the natives pronounce words. Like really listening.
I mention this here before, there’s a book called “English Pronunciation for Brazilians” it can help. I don’t know why, but I’ve also heard a lot Brazilians
saying “Money” [Monei] e nao “mani’ or Girl [guel]…

What else could be helpful…mirror, pronounce the words in front of the mirror to see your lips.

I hope this can help. If I remember anything else I’ll post it.

Sid.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
suggestions wanted  –  Fran  19/MAR/2010, 12:49 PM
 suggestions wanted  –  Sidney  19/MAR/2010, 1:40 PM
suggestions wanted  –  Dale-CR  19/MAR/2010, 1:54 PM
suggestions wanted  –  Fran  19/MAR/2010, 3:11 PM
suggestions wanted  –  Celia  25/MAR/2010, 1:11 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K