[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  28/MAR/2010 1:43 AM
Assunto:  Yank vs. Yankee (To Dale)

Mensagem:  I had some really rotten racial experiences as a white kid on the US-Mexican border.  I hear that word, and my mind goes back to those days.  Bear in mind that I have traveled in  18 Latin American countries; lived in two of them; have a son who is half-Costa Rican, half-American, and 100% nice guy; almost all my friends have been Latin for most of my life; I speak Spanish and Portuguese, etc.  I went out with a Costa Rican woman friend today.  No, I did not slap her around when she used the "G" word.  Maybe I should have.  LOL  I assure you that  having people constantly refer to your race, ethnicity, religion, etc. becomes very tiring.  Asking someone not to call me this name or that name is not asking too much.  If it is too damn much trouble for them to respect my wishes, what on earth am I doing wasting my time trying to be courteous and kind with them?  Que se freguen con J. 

I am reminded of what a niece told me recently.  Some white lady in Arkansas came into her house, looked around, saw photos of some nephews and nieces, and asked, "What are you doing with pictures of niggers in your home?"  My niece replied, "They are my family,  Now get out of my house."  I hear the "N" and I hear people insulting my family and friends.

I am not on a campaign to change how people talk and believe.  But if they cannot have some manners, I prefer to be far away from them.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Yank vs. Yankee (To Dale)  –  Jazz  26/MAR/2010, 7:17 PM
Yank vs. Yankee (To Dale)  –  Dale-CR  26/MAR/2010, 8:00 PM
Yank vs. Yankee (To Dale)  –  PPAULO  26/MAR/2010, 8:18 PM
Yank vs. Yankee (To Dale)  –  Dale-CR  26/MAR/2010, 9:55 PM
Yank vs. Yankee (To Dale)  –  Jazz  26/MAR/2010, 11:40 PM
Yank vs. Yankee (To Dale)  –  PPAULO  27/MAR/2010, 10:08 AM
Yank vs. Yankee (To Dale)  –  PPAULO  27/MAR/2010, 10:10 AM
Yank vs. Yankee (To Dale)  –  Dale-CR  27/MAR/2010, 1:14 PM
Yank vs. Yankee (To Dale)  –  pat  27/MAR/2010, 1:30 PM