[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  29/MAR/2010 7:44 PM
Assunto:  thanks in advance

Mensagem:  "What About" I Googled and found some hits, but...not many were for "Thanks already", but rather for "Thanks.  Already..." or other variations.  I believe I got 39,000 hits.  The sources appear to be British.  As an American, I do not recall hearing such an expression. If Andre of RS is chatting with Brits, great.  If he is conversing with Americans, I doubt that it will fit in.  Do not misunderstand.  I am not trying to force American English down anyone's throat.  It makes sense to speak European Portuguese with Europeans, Brazilian Portuguese with Brazilians, Argentine Spanish with Argentines, etc.  It seems silly to pollute your second language with words and expressions that are not going to used by the majority of the members of the group you spend the most time with,.  "Native speaker" is a rather vague term when there are so many major and minor variations of a language.  I live in Costa Rica, for example.  Words such as "trufi", "remis", "chiva", "choclo", etc. are widely used by native speakers of Spanish, but not by Costa Ricans.  That is why I asked where the expression had been heard.

I certainly agree with Eddie.  "Thanks in advance" is routinely used, at least in the USA.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
thanks in advance  –  André_rs  29/MAR/2010, 2:16 PM
thanks in advance  –  What about  29/MAR/2010, 2:20 PM
thanks in advance  –  Dale-CR  29/MAR/2010, 3:43 PM
thanks already  –  What about  29/MAR/2010, 4:08 PM
thanks in advance  –  André_rs  29/MAR/2010, 5:06 PM
thanks in advance  –  eddie  29/MAR/2010, 5:34 PM
 thanks in advance  –  Dale-CR  29/MAR/2010, 7:44 PM
thanks in advance  –  PPAULO  29/MAR/2010, 9:52 PM
thanks in advance  –  PPAULO  29/MAR/2010, 9:53 PM