PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  09/ABR/2010 10:37 PM
Assunto:  For one

Mensagem: 

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/for+one
1. As a particular one of several possibilities; "I for one feel very grateful"; "her mother for one was worried".

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/forone.html
People often say “for one” when they mean “for one thing”: “I really want to go to the movie. For one, Kevin Spacey is my favorite actor.” (One what?) The only time you should use “for one” by itself to give an example of something is when you have earlier mentioned a class to which the example belongs: “There are a lot of reasons I don’t want your old car. For one, there are squirrels living in the upholstery.” (One reason.)

For one, she no longer feels she can work with the vampire metaphor.
 -  Por uma razão, ela não mais sente que possa trabalhar com a metáfora do/da vampiro/a.

-  Uma razão (para isso) é, ela nao mais sente que ela possa (consiga) trabalhar com a metáfora do/a vampiro/a.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   If it was a more standard way, it would have something before, like:
   “There are a lot of reasons she can´t work with the vampire metaphore. For one, she has already worked it again and again.” (One reason.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

But language is like this, don´t expect standard English all the time, and it wouldn´t even be healthy to the mind.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Ah, "para começar" é legal também, no sentido de "uma delas (razões)"

Espero que você tenha entendido.

PP.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
For one  –  Nina  09/ABR/2010, 4:47 PM
For one  –  What about  09/ABR/2010, 7:45 PM
 For one  –  PPAULO  09/ABR/2010, 10:37 PM
For one  –  orlando  10/ABR/2010, 8:21 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.