ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  12/ABR/2010 12:38 AM
Assunto:  word order / ordem das palavras Re: Ao contrário

Mensagem: 

I know what you meant, when I lived a stint in the interior. 

At night, bone-tired (life in farms, and little towns  can be pretty hard sometimes)...I would go to the side of the house and plant a sisal (algarve) stick and tie him (with a wire) to some of the roof rafter.  The taller the stick, the better the signal.

Attached to it, I would atach a thin wire that was to go from the tip of the stick to the radio antenna.   It was my days of MW, SW, and all that jazz.   FM? not had that luxury...

Even so, the signal came in waves, like sometimes it came near and all of sudden it went out...static were abound, sometimes it crackled noisily and overlapped the sound of the broadcast...

Other times, the only station that you could hear, unluckily, had only classical music...all the time. 

I´m sorry, I got nostalgic all of sudden; but I am not a bit nostalgic about the day I had a terrible electric shock.  The day I touched a 'live' cord part (scratched and the metal was out...); you know these "valved" ABC radios took eons to charge and accumulated the energy of  an entire nuclear plant...my arm got numb, I ran to the backyard and with the other arm I frantically hold the other one (numbed) and shaked it, but it took a quarter of hour to feel it again.

My mommy never knew, I was a kid and was scared enough to tell.  She would give me a hard time, meaning even physical 'rough' contact!

It marveled me, that I could hear radio stations from Belem, Bolivian ones and even the VOA station...provided that the weather was good.

Today, at a touch; the screen of a computer flickers alive...it´s a relieve, at least for me, that read the newspaper leaf (yellowed) that I got into the fair.  It came wrapping some fish. 

PP.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Ao contrario  –  Rafael English PE  10/ABR/2010, 7:22 PM
Re: Ao contrário  –  PPAULO  10/ABR/2010, 9:04 PM
word order / ordem das palavras Re: Ao contrário  –  Fran  11/ABR/2010, 8:44 PM
word order / ordem das palavras Re: Ao contrário  –  PPAULO  11/ABR/2010, 9:36 PM
word order / ordem das palavras Re: Ao contrário  –  Fran  11/ABR/2010, 11:30 PM
word order / ordem das palavras Re: Ao contrário  –  Fran  11/ABR/2010, 11:35 PM
 word order / ordem das palavras Re: Ao contrário  –  PPAULO  12/ABR/2010, 12:38 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K