[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-CR
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  14/ABR/2010 3:24 PM
Assunto:  another one (Preenchimento)

Mensagem:  Forgive me if I have told this story before...

I was a social worker for five years.  A Mexican woman came to see me with two children about some problem she had.  She mentioned she was pregnant.  Back at my desk I only saw information about her and the two kids, nothing about the child that she was carrying.  I had a way to help her with extra money starting on the day that the pregnancy was confirmed.  (In theory, the money would be used to buy extra food, clothing and other things for the new baby, etc.)  I asked her, "Señora, ¿desde hace cúanto tiempo que está esperando?"  And she answered, "Desde la una y media."  Damn, that was pretty specific information!  We both had a good laugh over that.

My son´s maid loves to ask, "Are you sick and does it hurt you to speak?" 

Back in my social worker days, I went to a home to fill out some periodic forms.  I told the family that I needed to know the names of everyone in the hosue, even the names of temporary guests.  Although they assured me I had been given all the names, I could hear a man coughing in another room.  When I mentioned the coughing, they had a good laugh.  Several days before their son had come home from the army, bringing a friend who had a bad cold.  The coughs I was hearing were coming from a parrot! 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Preenchimento  –  Gissele  13/ABR/2010, 11:32 PM
Preenchimento  –  mano  14/ABR/2010, 10:48 AM
Preenchimento  –  Fran  14/ABR/2010, 12:52 PM
Preenchimento  –  Dale-CR  14/ABR/2010, 1:00 PM
Preenchimento  –  Fran  14/ABR/2010, 1:10 PM
another one (Preenchimento)  –  Fran  14/ABR/2010, 1:16 PM
 another one (Preenchimento)  –  Dale-CR  14/ABR/2010, 3:24 PM
Preenchimento  –  Dale-CR  14/ABR/2010, 1:27 PM
Preenchimento  –  Fran  14/ABR/2010, 1:54 PM