[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  16/ABR/2010 7:46 PM
Assunto:  Conditional "Had"

Mensagem:  If he hadn´t....  The phrase needs "had not" because it is contrary-to-fact.  The man is dead.  We even know the year of his death.  He is gone.  Finito.  Toast.  Pushing up daisies.  Deader than a door nail.  Gone beaver.  Kicked the bucket.

I think he died in 1980.  If he didn´t die in 1980, perhaps he is still living somewhere in the rain forests of Venezuela.  Is the second sentence contrary-to-fact?  No.  In fact, we don´t know what happened to the gentleman.  Maybe he is working at a Bob´s in Sao Jose dos Campos, maybe he is mixing caipirinhas in Leblon, maybe he got a job in Ciudad del Este selling microwave ovens to Paranenses.  We don´t know.  So...."did not die" is fine.

And what is so terrible about your English?  (Note that the name of a language is always capitalized.)  Your English looks pretty good to me.  Make all the mistakes that you want.  With each mistake you will get closer to your goal of speaking very good English. Everyone makes mistakes in this forum.  Tiago T. seems to find most of mine.  I have been calling him "Eagle Eye" lately.  He was probably a Sioux Indian chief in an earlier life.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Conditional "Had"  –  Jefferson Leandro  16/ABR/2010, 7:17 PM
 Conditional "Had"  –  Dale-USA  16/ABR/2010, 7:46 PM
Conditional "Had" - To Dale  –  Paulo S  16/ABR/2010, 11:49 PM
Conditional "Had" - To Dale  –  Dale-USA  17/ABR/2010, 3:09 AM
Conditional "Had" - To Dale  –  Paulo S  17/ABR/2010, 8:36 PM
Conditional "Had"  –  Wauber.  16/ABR/2010, 8:13 PM
Conditional "Had"  –  Dale-USA  16/ABR/2010, 8:16 PM
Conditional "Had"  –  Jefferson Leandro  16/ABR/2010, 9:57 PM
Conditional "Had"  –  Dale-USA  16/ABR/2010, 10:19 PM