[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  17/ABR/2010 3:00 AM
Assunto:  to Dale-USA

Mensagem:  Nope.  Still here in Costa Rica.  Have no firm plans to live elsewhere, although I may well do so when my son finished medical school here in about 12-18 months.

Natives reply to posts without giving their nationality.  One fellow was insisting several weeks ago that a certain expression was well known to everyone under the sun.  Well, it was well known to everyone under his sun but under mine.  I had never heard the expression before.  I assume his sun was somewhere in Australia, but I don´t recall him ever telling us. 

When a native makes a comment about a term, a grammar rule, etc., I think that would be helpful for the Brazilian learner to know WHERE that word is used and that rule adhered to.  Otherwise, Joe Carioca is going to be speaking a real seafood gumbo of English from here, there, and over there too.   It´s not enough to ask "How do you say this in English?"  The student should be saying, "In the UK, how does one..." or "In South Africa...."  Well, that is what I think anyway.  By putting my country of origin in the ¨"nome" box, people will know where I am from.

I went through a similar process with Spanish.  I had friends and coworkers from many countries, and it was natural to pick up a phrase here and a word there.  Just as Portuguese varies from region to region as well as between Brazil and Portugal (and other lands), so does Spanish vary from country to country.  I live in Costa Rica, so I try to keep my Spanish Costa Rican when chatting with Costa Ricans.  And when in Colombia, Chile, Argentina, and so forth....  Well, I think you follow me.

Nope, no plans to return to the USA to live.  Been there, done that.  I´ve been thinking lately of Southern Mexico, Southern Argentina, maybe Cuenca in Ecuador, possibly Colombia...  Don´t want to get kidnapped by the FARC, of course.  Southern Chile is nice.  Puerto Varas is a real delight.  I will be in Nicaragua in about a week.  I haven´t been there for years, but I can´t imagine living there long term.  I am going to spend some time on the San Juan River.  Want to come along?  I have a hammock you can borrow.  You´ll need it.  Panama is very immigrant-friendly, but I am not sold on the idea of living there.  Panama City is nice, but it gets HOT.  Real hot.  Lots of discounts for us "viejitos".  I like the weather here in the Central Valley of Costa Rica.  (The coasts are ovens.)   But I am not crazy about the cities.  The ideal location would have cool weather, have access to movies and books, be relatively close to a large city for shopping (that kills Cuenca), have good medical services.  I´ll probably never find what I am looking for, but think of all the fun I will have looking!

You got some room on your couch?  I don´t snore and I don´t sleepwalk, but I do like to pound on my ronroco.  No, I don´t yodel.  I was really getting into Bolivian Aymara war chants when my visa came up for expìration.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
to Dale-USA  –  CRS  17/ABR/2010, 12:15 AM
 to Dale-USA  –  Dale-USA  17/ABR/2010, 3:00 AM
to Dale-USA  –  Jazz  17/ABR/2010, 11:02 PM
to Dale-USA  –  Dale-USA  18/ABR/2010, 12:29 AM
to Dale-USA  –  What about  18/ABR/2010, 11:14 AM
to Dale-USA  –  Dale-USA  18/ABR/2010, 12:05 PM
to Dale-USA  –  Jazz-Bahia  18/ABR/2010, 5:52 PM
Jazz  –  Dale-USA  18/ABR/2010, 7:17 PM
dude, guy, buddy  –  jazz  19/ABR/2010, 10:29 AM