PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Sidney
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  26/MAI/2010 4:05 PM
Assunto:  ...crítica ao Dale

Mensagem: 

Hi everyone,

I don’t want to point any fingers here but it’s good to remember that when you are open to teach someone anything, the first thing is to be patient.
Adults have a lot of trouble when people correct them also the way they correct them. I had a friend here in Canada when I first got here, everything
that I would say she was like, “WRONG!”, WE DON’T SAY LIKE THAT” one day I wrote her an email and she pointed some word as wrong. I sent her a picture
of the dictionary and my word was correct. She blocked me to speak English with her. Up to this day, I can’t just talk to her in English. We can talk in
Spanish, French or some Portuguese but I can’t in English.

We don’t need to say how much Dale is useful in this forum. I got upset myself with him many times too. But it’s more a cultural thing, like in here, Canadians
are practical most of the time really fast too. If you get something wrong they will tell you right off, “Hey Sid this is wrong can you fix it?”  In other words, they will tell you
what needs to be done. We (most) Brazilians have this “special” way to correct or call somebody’s attention. Look for example how many times we say bye before we hang up the phone.
Is it wrong? No it’s not…it’s just cultural stuff. For many times I’ve sent emails as big as this post to my boss and he would replay. “Tks”, “Got it” or even “OK”.

Also, it’s more like what are you really looking for. If you want to learn the language, you should be more than happy when a native corrects you. Most of them don’t care.
If you are fishing for complements, maybe a forum is not the right place. It all depends, if you look for mistakes in my English or Portuguese writing you will find them.
If you are concerned to get the message you will get it. So it all depends the way and how you see things. For some folks here, it my be a completion, for some (like myself)
I just want to share the little I know and learn more and more with those whom know better than me.

So, with all that being said, I hope things here get back on track and Dale and others still posting their comments. Every time I check this site I learn something new.
I also would like the opportunity to say thanks to Fran, she’s great!!!! Fran big fan here…;)

Sid.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
...crítica ao Dale  –  André_rs  25/MAI/2010, 12:55 PM
...crítica ao Dale  –  PPAULO  25/MAI/2010, 9:55 PM
...crítica ao Dale  –  PPAULO  25/MAI/2010, 10:17 PM
 ...crítica ao Dale  –  Sidney  26/MAI/2010, 4:05 PM
...crítica ao Dale  –  Renan  26/MAI/2010, 5:27 PM
...crítica ao Dale  –  Sidney  26/MAI/2010, 6:51 PM
...crítica ao Dale  –  Fran  26/MAI/2010, 7:58 PM
...crítica ao Dale  –  Renan  26/MAI/2010, 9:43 PM