PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Sidney
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  04/JUN/2010 12:06 PM
Assunto:  DÚVIDAS

Mensagem: 

Hi guys,

You’re right Dale, as a friend used to say “man up!” if you are not open to criticism you wont learn another language.
It’s bad that some people don’t appreciate the fact we have natives in the forum who can help us with the language.

Here at work for example, I have some boring co-workers who tell me endless stories about their life and stuff. I listen to them carefully,
and realize how luck I am to actually have those people around me. So I can practice and learn from them.

Here on the forum we need to ignore some stuff, I don’t believe in stupid questions, however, I see the Forum more like a last resort, if
I can’t find on Google, on my dictionary than I ask in here. We have seen all kind of questions and sometimes not even English related.
Also, some people have that thing that is more like “unconscious envy” which you may hate a native of the target language just because
he or she speaks the language in a perfect way. I’ve heard some people saying things like, “Look that kid, I hate him, his pronunciation is perfect!”
We never know what people are thinking…anyway.

Fran,

Sometimes I get really upset about people judging was just because we are Latinos. I had to get something fix here once
and the guy was trying to get some money to get the job done. I told him, “Let me get this straight, you are not asking for any money. Are you?
Because if you are I’ll call the cops right now”. Because he was like, “So are you from South America? What can you do for me so we can get this fixed”.
Also when people come to me, like the other day at the library, “Hola, Por favor, ‘cerbeja’”….assuming that I was Mexican or something, I told him,
“what are doing dude?” Some people are just silly.

When I moved from Sao Paulo to Curitiba people were kinda skeptical when I would say, “I’m from Sao Paulo”. Most of my friends in Curitiba were scared
to death to go to Sao Paulo…LOL

That’s why when people ask me, “what’s the most difficult aspect of living in another country?” I always say, the culture. If you’re not open for new stuff forget it. There’s a book called, “a year in the merde” by an Englishman who moved to France to work there for a year. It’s so funny because he
wouldn’t understand why the French people are the way the are. For me, I love to meet new people, places and learn languages so I don’t have any problem with that…

Sid.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
DÚVIDAS  –  santos  03/JUN/2010, 9:09 AM
DÚVIDAS  –  Dale-CR  03/JUN/2010, 2:00 PM
DÚVIDAS  –  Sidney  03/JUN/2010, 2:44 PM
DÚVIDAS  –  Dale-CR  03/JUN/2010, 3:38 PM
DÚVIDAS  –  Fran  03/JUN/2010, 5:37 PM
DÚVIDAS  –  Dale-CR  03/JUN/2010, 6:36 PM
 DÚVIDAS  –  Sidney  04/JUN/2010, 12:06 PM
DÚVIDAS  –  Dale-USA  04/JUN/2010, 2:12 PM