ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  08/JUN/2010 11:39 PM
Assunto:  Learn from - learn with

Mensagem: 

No tight rules about it.   The day to day practice is pretty much needed.

And most of time you can use one or the other.

- - - - ----- - - -

a)  However, without much context I would say that "learn from" sometimes may have a certain sense learning from, say, an abstract being.

The motto would be: you learn by seeing/perceiving... (even unconsciously)

b)  Whereas "learn with" would have a more concrete (real) company to learn with, that is, a mnemonic device would be to remember the opposition of learning with or without something.    Here, you need a tool or somebody to help you learn.

The motto would be: you learn by making. (Thus a very consciuous process)

Some instances of (b), I have taken from the Web:

b-1)-The build robots that learn with and without human teachers. (meaning physical presence of teachers)

b-2) Find real, every day life chats to learn with this podcast  (physical presence, a device/gizmo - podcast)

b-3) You can learn with (the help of) a private tutor, a course, from cd's, books, and so on.   (ditto.  Same reasoning of above)

b-4) It was very helpful and I'm sure I'll learn with practice. (the practice in itself, the one at the classroom for example.  If it was meant practice in general you could say FROM practice.

b-5) Learn with the locals. (along with them, in person.) You could say that is good to learn from locals, then it would be a more inpersonal approach and could mean without the presence of them.

b-6) English daily learn with songs.  [songs as a tool, if your approach is talking about the inconscious/general process of learning, then could use FROM SONGS.]

b-7)  It is more fun to learn with classmates at first, but it is hard to study with them.

Need some explanation here? hardly.  It´s just to figure the classmates, in person.

One studying along with them, togheter.

b-8)  ...and I expected him to work and learn with the rest of us.

As opposing to learn without us.

b-9) I learn with library books, field exploration, experiments, etc

b-10) Learn with your preferred choice of mediums, ...

b-11)learn with their mobile devices while going about other tasks.

a-1) Personal robots must also be able to learn from members of the general public who are not familiar.  (their learning from a group; so FROM gives a hint of impersonal, hence abstract sense...)

a-2) I like to work in a group because I learn from others in my group.

Ditto, same reasoning of a-1.

a-3) Children can just learn from the things provided in the home.

a-4)  ...and to learn from the mistakes and successes of others.    (an impersonal and more way, and you know, talking about learning from abstracts entities - mistakes, and succesess)

a-5)  The planner of restaurant need to learn from observing the social class they are trying to attract to.   (from observing, so a learning wich source is the observing...)

Learn with your children and show interest in their learning; ... What can you learn from it?).
Learn with your children, real children here.

What can you learn from (the process) it? (here, meaning from the immaterial thing)

This project explores the concept that people can learn from teaching others.

(here from the process of teaching others)

It may not be as effective as practice and learn from a real Japanese teacher

but...

students learn with understanding and some of the implications for ... (See Rote Learning vs. Learning With. Understanding)

(with + the abstract "understanding"...)

You learn from a textbook (textbook is a concrete thing, here "from'' also indicates the source, the origin of the learning)

-------------------------------------

And...most of time guys learn with me (we togheter here) and sometimes from me (some example I provided, some explanation I gave etc.)

Sorry for being so verbose, but without context we have to aim several targets to

get one.  Anyway, I hope it helps.

PP.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Learn from - learn with  –  Santos  08/JUN/2010, 8:24 PM
Learn from - learn with  –  Dale-USA  08/JUN/2010, 8:36 PM
 Learn from - learn with  –  PPAULO  08/JUN/2010, 11:39 PM
Learn from - learn with  –  Santos  09/JUN/2010, 7:49 AM
Learn from - learn with  –  PPAULO  09/JUN/2010, 1:13 PM
Learn from - learn with  –  Deivis  10/JUN/2010, 5:20 AM
Learn from - learn with  –  Dale-USA  10/JUN/2010, 12:06 PM