[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  10/JUN/2010 11:23 PM
Assunto:  in/at/on

Mensagem:  Welcome to the club, Student.  Even the natives sometimes stare into space and mutter to ourselves, "In the?  At the?  On the?"  This is something that you must learn by ear.  And don't forget "into".

I fell in the water.  (I was walking in the water when I fell.  Jesus may have walked on water, but you and I walk in the water.)
I fell into the water.  (I was walking on the riverbank in my dry clothing when I tripped and fell, landing in the water.  I was not wet and suddenly I was wet.  I was not in the river and suddenly I was in the river.)  Why do we fall into the water but we land in the water?  Weird language...

(a) The test will be performed in the environment ABC  Correct.  You are performing a test of XYZ within the environment of ABC.
(b) The test will be performed on Environment ABC  The word "on" completely changes the meaning of this sentence.  You are testing environment ABC.  The environment is your test, not XYZ. 

Let's look at other examples.
(a) The test will be given in French.  (The professor giving you the test will speak to you in French and you will answer in French.)
(a) The test will be given on French.  (The test will have questions about the French language.)

(c) The test will be given in Buenos Aires.  (The location of the test is Buenos Aires, not Santiago de Chile or London.  I am not giving you any information about what the questions will be about.)
(d) The test will be given on Buenos Aires. (The test will ask you questions about the city of Buenos Aires.  Perhaps you will go to Caracas for the test, and perhaps you will do it in Recife.)

The test will be performed at company X  Correct.

Smoothly sounds fine to me.  Smoothly is an adverb that describes how the test will be performed.  Smooth, on the other hand, is an adjective that would describe the test, not how it was performed.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
How do you say "andamento"  –  student_brazil  10/JUN/2010, 9:15 AM
How do you say "andamento"  –  Sidney  10/JUN/2010, 10:08 AM
How do you say "andamento"  –  student_brazil  10/JUN/2010, 10:15 AM
How do you say "andamento"  –  Fran  10/JUN/2010, 10:18 AM
in order ... to (How do you say "andamento&qu  –  Frab  10/JUN/2010, 10:33 AM
typo... Fran not Frab  –  Fran  10/JUN/2010, 10:36 AM
typo... Fran not Frab  –  orlando  10/JUN/2010, 12:04 PM
Fran, Frab, Frag, Fram, Fraq...  –  Dale-USA  10/JUN/2010, 12:23 PM
How do you say "andamento"  –  student_brazil  10/JUN/2010, 2:14 PM