[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  13/JUN/2010 8:49 AM
Assunto:  Butt in, chime in, chisel in... Which one do you p

Mensagem:  butt in = negative (He butt into the conversation.)
chime in = not negative, more or less friendly (As I was talking to Lilly about the dance, Tim chimed in that he had tickets he would give us.)
chisel in = I am not familiar with the use of this expression in the sense of "to interrupt".  "To chisel (out)" is to defraud, cheat.  (His cousin chisled Mike out of his inheritance.) (I tried to do business with her but she chisled me.)
barge in =  I am not familiar with the use of this expression in the sense of "to interrupt". The usual meaning is to enter a room quickly and uninvited.  (We were playing cards when the police barged in.)
break in =  I am not familiar with the use of this expression in the sense of "to interrupt".
cut in = not negative.  The usual meaning is not to go to the end of a line, but to enter a line at a point closer to the beginning.   
put in = I would understand this to mean "to add to the conversation".  It does not sound negative to me.

Interrupting is seen as very discourteous in the USA.  It is not as accepted as it seems to be in Latin cultures.

I am not a dictionary.  I am not saying that Merriam-Webster agrees with what I've written, but I've given my personal reaction to the terms.  Some of the phrases do not sound natural to me in the sense of "to interrupt".

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Butt in, chime in, chisel in... Which one do you p  –  Deivis  13/JUN/2010, 3:33 AM
 Butt in, chime in, chisel in... Which one do you p  –  Dale-USA  13/JUN/2010, 8:49 AM
Butt in, chime in, chisel in... Which one do you p  –  Deivis  13/JUN/2010, 11:12 AM
Butt in, chime in, chisel in... Which one do you p  –  Dale-USA  13/JUN/2010, 1:46 PM
Butt in, chime in, chisel in... Which one do you p  –  Deivis  13/JUN/2010, 2:05 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K