[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  13/JUN/2010 1:46 PM
Assunto:  Butt in, chime in, chisel in... Which one do you p

Mensagem:  Deivis, you have a point, but the subject is even more complex.
(1) I am not a spring chicken.  (Sou coroa.)  So my vocabulary is not that of a young person.
(2) I am American.  English is spoken by various nationalities, and it varies from country to country.  What sounds normal to me may sound quite unusual or wrong to someone else.  And vice versa.  A few months ago, for example, someone apparently from Australia insisted that a certain phrase was the accepted way of saying something.  I'd never heard or read it before.  He was probably right in his country, but he was certainly wrong in mine.
(3) An individual may have words or phrases used in his personal vocabulary that are rarely uttered or written by others.  I find myself using incredible (awesome, fantastic, cool, great, etc.) more often than most people. My son uses random to express the same thought. 

In a conversation, I would expect to hear to butt in and to interrupt much more often than the other expressions.  To chime in, to cut in, and maybe some others would be found in novels, newspaper articles, etc.

By the way, to butt out is quite common.  It means to leave alone, not to participate in the conversation, etc.  The meaning is similar to não mexer.  (Butt out.  This is none of your business.)

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Butt in, chime in, chisel in... Which one do you p  –  Deivis  13/JUN/2010, 3:33 AM
Butt in, chime in, chisel in... Which one do you p  –  Dale-USA  13/JUN/2010, 8:49 AM
Butt in, chime in, chisel in... Which one do you p  –  Deivis  13/JUN/2010, 11:12 AM
 Butt in, chime in, chisel in... Which one do you p  –  Dale-USA  13/JUN/2010, 1:46 PM
Butt in, chime in, chisel in... Which one do you p  –  Deivis  13/JUN/2010, 2:05 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K