Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  15/JUN/2010 3:19 AM
Assunto:  Do you use all these misses???

Mensagem: 

He he, lucky you!

I have met them all the time, well, at least sometimes.  You know, I am a crazy guy that

likes to read (and reading the likes of Machado de Assis, José de Alencar, etc)

In English, I read (bought the book, but I run out of time) the likes of Charles Dickens -Great Expectations, Swift -Gulliver Travels) and plenty of books taken from the Gutenberg (project) site, and I do some crosswords.   Hence, books and readings with a farfetched language of them own, sort of.

I solve some cryptograms, the ones in wich a quotation appear as soon as you complete them entirely, and quotations may come with some language of old. 

But then, I have read Teen magazine, People mag, a lot of newspapers, and Comics, the Economist, along with EMB forum and BBC learning section, they have a Forum there as well.  I am, let´s say, an ecletic animal.

Like I said, there are times in wich you need them, or you aren´t going to understand  what these guys are or were talking about.   However, there´s no need of memorizing, they are in the dictionary anyway.

On the other hand, it´s good to our mind a little exercise; and I see to many Brazilian citizens making gross mistakes in exams and in the everyday conversation, writting and all. that I hardly can believe it.     It´s interesting and amazing to see a non-Brazilian like Dale writting in so neat Portuguese and so many Brazilians not getting a grip of the language (I mean, the basic of it.)

And you see so many people using lang ''gíria" as comma or period, spoiling the beauty of our Portuguese and not improving their vocabulary.   In a nutshell, they are lazy when it comes to thinking!

Back to the use of words, the trick is in the balance, the choice of comtemporary words and uses, but not forgetting some that are important and might pay us a visit sometime (most of times at short notice, without placing a call in advance).

PP. 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Do you use all these misses???  –  Deivis  14/JUN/2010, 6:23 PM
Do you use all these misses???  –  Dale-USA  14/JUN/2010, 7:27 PM
Do you use all these misses???  –  PPAULO  14/JUN/2010, 9:25 PM
Do you use all these misses???  –  PPAULO  14/JUN/2010, 9:55 PM
Do you use all these misses???  –  Deivis  15/JUN/2010, 12:07 AM
 Do you use all these misses???  –  PPAULO  15/JUN/2010, 3:19 AM
Do you use all these misses???  –  Deivis  15/JUN/2010, 4:02 AM
Do you use all these misses???  –  PPAULO  15/JUN/2010, 3:36 PM