[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  15/JUN/2010 11:57 PM
Assunto:  CQC interview

Mensagem:  To say "all are basically the same", we use the expression "If you've seen one, you've seen them all."  If you've seen one T-shirt, you've seen them all.  Except for the design, all T-shirts are much alike. 

This is not true with jerseys.  The Brazilian jersey is a T-shirt.  If I show you a T-shirt from Brazil, it is much like one from Bolivia, Colombia, Canada, etc.  If I show you a soccer shirt from Uruguay, it is going to be much like the tourist T-shirt your aunt brought you from London.  However, an ice hockey jersey has little in common with a football jersey.  I heard this afternoon that the shirt used by baseball players can be called a jersey.  With it's very open collar and buttons, it is nothing like the jerseys just named.  The sleeveless jersey used by basketball players is also unique.   What I am saying is that the words jersey and T-shirt are not interchangeable.  Some jerseys are T-shirts, and some aren't.  Some T-shirts are jerseys, and some aren't.

I am not a sports fan, and I was surprised this afternoon after making the post that jersey is commonly used to mean the "shirt" used by many athletes, including baseball players.  There is nothing wrong with learning something new.  By the way, I checked Ebay, and "team t-shirt" was more common than "team jersey". 

Apparel and garment are clothing in general.  As I recall, however, apparel is outer clothing  but garment includes underclothing.  Both words are somewhat formal.

A hat or cap is considered an accessory. 

Suit is an odd word.  We usually think of a suit as a "terno", but sometimes a suit is clothing used to protect other clothing or even the body (as in the case of a chemical hazard suit).  I've often heard suit used interchangeably with uniform, but I do not believe that is correct. 

A uniform is standardized clothing worn by such people as the police, firemen, soldiers, sailors, nurses, etc.  If you are talking about a child wearing a sailor's uniform, people would expect you to call it a sailor suit rather than a sailor uniform.  Perhaps the difference is the child is pretending to be a sailor, and the clothing doesn't identify him as a saillor.  Regardless of what he wears, he is still five years old.  Cowboys were not issued uniforms, but a child dressed as a cowboy would be said to be wearing a cowboy suit.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
CQC interview  –  Jazz  15/JUN/2010, 10:19 AM
CQC interview  –  Dale-USA  15/JUN/2010, 1:13 PM
CQC interview  –  PPAULO  15/JUN/2010, 4:10 PM
CQC interview  –  Jazz  15/JUN/2010, 7:56 PM
CQC interview  –  PPAULO  15/JUN/2010, 8:11 PM
CQC interview  –  Jazz  15/JUN/2010, 9:39 PM
CQC interview  –  PPAULO  15/JUN/2010, 9:46 PM
 CQC interview  –  Dale-USA  15/JUN/2010, 11:57 PM
CQC interview  –  Jazz  16/JUN/2010, 9:14 AM