[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  05/JUL/2010 11:37 AM
Assunto:  very many

Mensagem:  I fell into the habit because you have so many talents and virtues that it is difficult for me to thing of you as being only one man.  Surely there are seven or eight of you.

Seriously, if people are having trouble with your name, one possibility is to say "My name is André.  No 'S' at the end."  ("Without an 'S' at the end.")

I have trouble with "Dale".  People hear "Dell", "Bill", "Dave", etc.  When there is an obvious problem, I have said for years "Dale, like Dale Evans but no horse."  (Dale Evans was a well known actress in cowboy movies, the wife of Roy Rogers.) 

In Spanish the problem is much worse because they have never heard the name before and have no idea how to spell it or pronounce it.  Remember that in Spanish "Dale" means "hit him, strike him."  I say "Dale, como 'dale con un palo, dale duro, dale otra vez."  They often have trouble accepting "Thomas" as a surname, because they are used to hearing "Tomás" as a first name.  I have little jokes about that too.

If you exaggerate and make a joke about it, people will remember better and won't feel embarrassed about making a mistake. 

I'm sure that I fell into the habit of "Andrés" with you due to my contact with other fine, intelligent, charming, worldly, forgiving, erudite, manly, men among men who are called "Andrés". 

Thank you for calling my attention to the error.  I won't do it again, Andrés.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
very many  –  Alex  02/JUL/2010, 4:48 PM
very many  –  Fran  02/JUL/2010, 5:44 PM
very many  –  Tom  02/JUL/2010, 6:38 PM
very many  –  André_rs  03/JUL/2010, 6:14 PM
very many  –  Dale-USA  04/JUL/2010, 11:14 AM
very many  –  André_rs  04/JUL/2010, 12:27 PM
very many  –  Dale-USA  04/JUL/2010, 8:43 PM
very many  –  André_rs  04/JUL/2010, 10:11 PM
 very many  –  Dale-USA  05/JUL/2010, 11:37 AM