[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  08/JUL/2010 1:26 PM
Assunto:  Ensino Médio

Mensagem:  Your question is simple, but the answer is complex.  "High school" is a widely used and understood term.  It is used to identify the last four years of pre-university (secondary school) education. 

In the USA, the first six years are called either "elementary school" or "grammar school".  (Note that in the UK "grammar school" has a different meaning.)  The next six years are divided into two parts:  "junior high school" or "middle school" and "senior high school".  In one community, "elementary school" is the preferred term, but in others "grammar school" is preferred.  And in one community, "junior high school" is the preferred term, but in others "middle school" is preferred.  Junior/middle school usually refers to the seventh and eighth years, but in some communities it refers to the seventh, eighth and ninth years.  Senior high school usually refers to the ninth, tenth, eleventh, and twelfth years.  In some areas it refers to the tenth, eleventh, and twelfth years.

To illustrate, when I lived in Arizona, students in the 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades or years of school attended the senior high school.  When I returned to California, students in the 9th grade went to classes at the junior high school.  I attended junior high school in Arizona and California, but the children of our family in Oregon go to middle schools.  Different names for the same thing.

This must sound very complicated, but people understand.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Ensino Médio  –  Gissele  08/JUL/2010, 11:22 AM
 Ensino Médio  –  Dale-USA  08/JUL/2010, 1:26 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K