[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  22/JUL/2010 12:12 PM
Assunto:  CRS - pineapple omelet

Mensagem:  "Coffee with milk" is Spanglish (Spanish and English).  As I wrote it, I felt something was wrong but it took you to tell me it was wrong.  It's strange what goes through our heads sometimes as we write.  If I wrote "coffee", Brazilians would think "cafezinho".  Cafezinho is not common in Costa Rica, but neither is "café con leche" (usually called "café americano").  Costa Ricans normally drink their coffee black, adding sugar.  And they never drink it without food.  They have it with a cookie, a slice of cake, etc. at the end of a meal  As in Brazil, it's a dessert and not a beverage as in the USA.  (Americans drink coffee during the meal.  If we have consumed wine or another beverage during the meal, then after the meal we may have a cup of coffee.)  However, at breakfast it's common in Costa Rica to drink coffee with more or less an equal amount of milk.

In the USA I'd ask "Do want cream in/with your coffee?"  ("Could I have cream with my coffee?")  It's odd because we say "cream" but often we mean milk.

A "receipt" is what we get to prove we have paid money.
A "recipe" is a list of instructions for preparing and cooking something.
A "prescription" is the written authorization from a doctor to obtain medication.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
CRS - pineapple omelet  –  Dale-USA  22/JUL/2010, 1:28 AM
CRS - pineapple omelet  –  Paulo S  22/JUL/2010, 8:38 AM
 CRS - pineapple omelet  –  Dale-USA  22/JUL/2010, 12:12 PM
CRS - pineapple omelet  –  Paulo S  22/JUL/2010, 1:08 PM
CRS - pineapple omelet  –  CRS  22/JUL/2010, 7:25 PM
CRS - pineapple omelet  –  Dale-USA  22/JUL/2010, 9:47 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K