ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  16/AGO/2010 2:29 AM
Assunto:  sorry

Mensagem: 

It seems that are some differences of those of our law-enforcement and prison system.

In fact, in Brazil, we have police stations that are used as jails.   I mean, there a crowd there awaiting trial or transportation to prison.

Police and sheriff stations in the USA have cells that are used until prisoners can be transported to the city/county jail.  (To jail, not to prison.)  Jails are often overcrowded, but not to the extent they are in Brazil.  I do not know the present situation in Los Angeles, but a few years ago an inmate sentenced to serve 365 days in jail would have the sentenced reduced by one day for every two days of "good time" (meaning the inmate had a job in jail and was not charged with infractions of rules), plus 30 days routinely given to all inmates regardless of their crimes and behavior in jail, plus an additional reduction of varying length for reasons known only to the jail system and the patron saint of criminals.  So, the 365 days could easily mean only 60-90 days injail.  Completely absurd, but...the alternative was to face lawsuits, sanctions by various government agencies, etc.

If somebody (unfortunately) get there in the wrong side of the law, and he is not bailed out the soonest, he is getting himself in cells the size of a sardine can, with more than 30 others prisoners.

Los Angeles does not have one jail but several.  Some are quite modern.

The (unwritten) sentence start right the day somebody is nabbed, don´t matter what he did.  So, he is convicted on spot (by fate, once he has not been prosecuted or even been heard by a lawyer or judge etc).

I never understood the criminal court process in Brazil.  Two things I noted, however, were (1) prisoners often made full confessions with a day or two of their arrests, and (2) prisoners were often back on the street within the week. In 2006 I was in Canela when a gas station owner was murdered by a man who was the owner's employee as well as the lover of the deceased's wife.  He attended the wake, and possibly he was arrested there.  He confessed within a day or two.

I was in Gramado a few months earlier when a bank was robbed.  Several arrests were soon made.  Some of the arrestees were released with a few days.  Why?  I knew a number of police officers (Brigada Militar and Policia Civil), but  I never asked for an explanation for the early confessions.  Torture?

In the USA, confessions are not common.  The smart criminal keeps his mouth shut and speaks only in the presence of his attorney. 

If he is going to a federal prison, but it isn´t a "maxim" he may use cell phones and all, outsmarting the staff and managing his ''business'' out there.

Perhaps you mean "maximum security". 

I've never heard of cell phones being permitted in a US prison.  Pay phones exist.

I used to go to a huge jail complex 60 km outside Los Angeles.  The name was Pitchess, but most called it by its old name of Wayside.  Since it was near Magic Mountain, a huge theme park, in jest we also called it that:  Magic Mountain. 

It had four major independent sub-complexes.  There were a Medium South (two independent units?) and a Medium North (four independent units).  Then there was Max (Maximum was one large building).  And lastly there was Super Max (I don't recall its formal name of Super Maximum.  I think it had three independent units, one of which was a "super max within the super max").  Going to see an inmate was very time consuming.  You needed a car to drive between the four major sub-complexes.  To see someone in Medium North, you had identify yourself at the main gate, show ID to enter a secured area at the entrance to Medium North, show ID and request the inmate, go to the unit where the inmate was housed, request the inmate again, and wait...and wait...  Not many escapes...   As a sign stated, "Security is not convenient."  I always took a book.

By the way, the taxpayer spend more two times much with an inmate than with a student in high school.   That´s more, recently a bill was passed that allows the inmates to earn stipends (wages, I would say) because they are out from the job market! 

They say in the USA that with the money it costs to house an inmate, he could be sent to a university with classes, housing, and meals paid in full. 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
ex detento  –  Lucas Oliveira  14/AGO/2010, 4:57 PM
ex detento  –  Breckenfeld  14/AGO/2010, 6:51 PM
ex detento  –  PPAULO  15/AGO/2010, 9:57 AM
ex detento  –  Dale-USA  15/AGO/2010, 1:54 PM
ex detento  –  Dale-USA  15/AGO/2010, 4:28 PM
sorry  –  Dale-USA  15/AGO/2010, 4:30 PM
sorry  –  PPAULO  15/AGO/2010, 9:28 PM
sorry  –  Dale-USA  16/AGO/2010, 12:13 AM
sorry  –  PPAULO  16/AGO/2010, 1:25 AM