ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  24/AGO/2010 2:11 AM
Assunto:  a-courting...a-verbing

Mensagem: 

Yup, I agree. And I split it in two posts aiming to avoid confusion in the learner head.
      First the A-frame, even providing images of it, "A picture is worth a thousand words"; anyway your point was very useful and come in handy.

Then comes the a- verbing.  The author may have chosen this wording because the verbs coming after the a- are often ended in ''ing".
      Perhaps the fact of being spoken in the country (área rural/campo) confirms that

A-verbing  it is "something that has survived from the past; "a " is a holdover from earlier varieties of English, but it is familiar to modern readers from nursery rhymes and folk songs, both old and modern . . .

That is, it is a remnant/vestige/residue/remainder of the old English, in the sense of earlier English talked in the states (and the U.K.) at the time. 

I equally deemed interesting the  following piece of text, kinda informative:  

: "Wolfram and Fasold (1974), who studied the use of a-verbing in Appalachian English in West Virginia, say that the prefixed -a emphasizes the duration of an action. 'She's working' means that she's engaged in a relatively short-term task. 'She's a-working' means that the task is of longer duration. . . . Feagin (1979) [found that] a-verbing was used to intensify the action or to create dramatic vividness. She found that a-verbing forms were common in stories about ghosts, accidents, murders, tornadoes, and other dramatic topics."

I don´t know much about etimology, but perhaps ''asea/ashore'' might come from structures like that? I really don´t know for certain...but it may be one possibility.

Indeed, this was an inteligent question from the (very) scratch!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
a-courting  –  joão paulo  23/AGO/2010, 4:22 PM
a-courting  –  Fran  23/AGO/2010, 4:29 PM
a-courting  –  joão paulo  23/AGO/2010, 4:42 PM
a-courting  –  Fran  23/AGO/2010, 6:21 PM
A-frame  –  PPAULO  23/AGO/2010, 6:26 PM
a-courting...a-verbing  –  PPAULO  23/AGO/2010, 6:49 PM
a-courting...a-verbing  –  Dale-USA  23/AGO/2010, 11:45 PM
 a-courting...a-verbing  –  PPAULO  24/AGO/2010, 2:11 AM
a-courting...a-verbing  –  PPAULO  24/AGO/2010, 2:15 AM