[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  26/AGO/2010 9:37 AM
Assunto:  to Dale - Pra boi dormir

Mensagem:  Yes, Teacher!  I've heard the expression before, but I'd forgotten the meaning.  I'm sorry.  I spoke when I should have been listening.

My dad loved to fish, and I confess that he told fish stories.  I took my son fishing for the first time when he was about three years old.  Before I could get out a camera, he had caught a nice trout.  I don't think the bait had been in the water for a minute.  Yes, it was a nice "rainbow trout", probably about 15" long.  However, by the time we arrived home, it had grown into "the biggest fish in the world."  Or at least that is what he told his mom.  I felt so proud of him because he was lying just like his grandfather! 

In 1975 I went fishing and camping along the Stanislaus River in Central California.  On the afternoon of July 4th, most of the friends went into town to drink and party.  I went down to the river with Bernie, a kid about 17.  On my first cast, I caught a huge "German brown trout".  It must have been about 20" long.  It looked more like a whale to me than a trout.

When I caught it, Bernie said, "Dale, that trout is much bigger than the one I caught on my first day here."

The next day, Bernie said, "Dale, that trout is about the size of  the one I caught on my first day here."

The second day, Bernie said, "Dale, that trout is almost the size of  the one I caught on my first day here."

With each passing day, my fish got smaller and smaller.  Bernie's brother-in-law quietly told me, "Bernie has never seen a trout that big in his life."  I still laugh at the memory!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Pra boi dormir  –  TJohn  25/AGO/2010, 9:06 PM
Pra boi dormir  –  Dale-USA  25/AGO/2010, 9:10 PM
Pra boi dormir  –  Teacher  26/AGO/2010, 2:04 AM
to Dale - Pra boi dormir  –  Teacher  26/AGO/2010, 2:12 AM
to Dale - Pra boi dormir  –  Juju  26/AGO/2010, 3:10 AM
to Dale - Pra boi dormir  –  Dale-USA  26/AGO/2010, 9:24 AM
 to Dale - Pra boi dormir  –  Dale-USA  26/AGO/2010, 9:37 AM
to Dale - Pra boi dormir  –  Dale  26/AGO/2010, 10:11 PM
to Dale - Pra boi dormir  –  JFCNobre(TJohn)  26/AGO/2010, 10:13 PM