Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  31/AGO/2010 8:07 PM
Assunto:  VOICES IN HALL or VOICES IN THE HALL ?

Mensagem: 

Hi Fabricio, seems like you change nicknames like you change clothes, huh?

If my guess is right, you were Carlos Fabricio on 12/NOV/2009, and Fabricio

Augusto on 09/FEV/2009, days of your last posts...I guess.

He he, just making you at ease, okay? little kidding of mine.

Well, back to the initial matter.  Tough I am no native speaker...

You have a point, you said that "voice in the hall" was the right way, and rightly so.

I agree, problem is, not everyone speaks standard English.   Plus, English is so dynamic and flexible a language.   

But both are likely, say, if you are talking a hall in particular you can say "THE HALL", and if you refer to hall (maybe meaning "hallways", even tough in certain hotels you have just one, but don´t matter you are talking about hall in general. Don´t matter if one or more)

So, in this light and, mainly in the Tourism and Hotel lingo, and in informal conversations (specially while talking about travels) people say phrases like these: 

Reviews of hotels and inns

Constant buzzing noise throughout night, noise from ice machine and voices in hall at 3 & 4 in morning.

http://realtravel.com/hr-175379-st_laurent_hotel_reviews_about-holiday_inn_montreal_airport-x-t_review
"Clean comf. room with comfy bed. A lot of loud voices in hall very early...like most cleaning staff at most hotels." — source Priceline 2009/08/13

www.mytravelguide.com/.../reviews-15256401-141-CDT-Imperial_Palace_Las_Vegas_reviews.html
Loud outside music or loud voices in hall. “Not for children or people trying to get to sleep before 4 a.m. It is great for partying gamblers.”

Basic rooms in a touristy area - Rambuttri Village Inn & Plaza ...
- [ Traduzir esta página ]
Note: their method of ventilation are slots that open into the hallway so additional sound does filter in to the room (doors slamming, voices in hall etc).

...needles to say I like it, and I felt strengthed in my attempted to go out and be with the others, no change in my headache so I stayed lying down…hearing voices in hall way I already very soon started wondering if they were talking about me.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
VOICES IN HALL or VOICES IN THE HALL ?  –  Fabricio  31/AGO/2010, 6:01 PM
VOICES IN HALL or VOICES IN THE HALL ?  –  Josi  31/AGO/2010, 7:52 PM
 VOICES IN HALL or VOICES IN THE HALL ?  –  PPAULO  31/AGO/2010, 8:07 PM
My friend vs a friend of mine...  –  PPAULO  31/AGO/2010, 8:46 PM
My friend vs a friend of mine...  –  Dale-USA  31/AGO/2010, 11:16 PM
VOICES IN HALL or VOICES IN THE HALL ?  –  Fabricio  02/SET/2010, 5:52 PM
VOICES IN HALL or VOICES IN THE HALL ?  –  PPAULO  02/SET/2010, 7:03 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K