Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  31/AGO/2010 11:16 PM
Assunto:  My friend vs a friend of mine...

Mensagem:  "Voices in the Hall" is preferred.
"Voices in hall/Hall" sounds like "shorthand English".  The writer is making short notes that probably only he will read.  It is like the list I used tonight at the supermarket.  It did not read "Be sure to buy some nice, fluffy rolls of paper towels to use in the kitchen to clean up the messes you make, you sloppy pig."  It read "Paper towels kitchen."

my friend = a friend of mine 
Yes, technically there is a difference, but don't lose sleep over it.  Either way is fine in my humble opinion.  Meu amigo me falou que...  Um amigo meu me falou que...  Is there really an important difference between the two?  It can be assumed that the writer has more than one friend.

There is an important difference between "My brother, David..." and "My brother David..."  In the first, David is my only brother.  In the second, David is one of my brothers.  Without context, we have no idea if the writer has one brother or more than one.  If he is not going to refer to him again, there is no need to give his name.  Right?  "My brother..."  Maybe I have one, and maybe I have more than one.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
VOICES IN HALL or VOICES IN THE HALL ?  –  Fabricio  31/AGO/2010, 6:01 PM
VOICES IN HALL or VOICES IN THE HALL ?  –  Josi  31/AGO/2010, 7:52 PM
VOICES IN HALL or VOICES IN THE HALL ?  –  PPAULO  31/AGO/2010, 8:07 PM
My friend vs a friend of mine...  –  PPAULO  31/AGO/2010, 8:46 PM
 My friend vs a friend of mine...  –  Dale-USA  31/AGO/2010, 11:16 PM
VOICES IN HALL or VOICES IN THE HALL ?  –  Fabricio  02/SET/2010, 5:52 PM
VOICES IN HALL or VOICES IN THE HALL ?  –  PPAULO  02/SET/2010, 7:03 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K