ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  09/SET/2010 6:26 PM
Assunto:  One is UP and UP...

Mensagem: 

Hi guys, thanks for the discussion, it was very interesting and pushed me to

study the idiom further (I didn´t think it was in any dictionary and in my "in print" ones there wasn´t the expression.

So, Dale has a point, in America it is "honest/legit/not crooked/not a cheat"  even in bona fide, I would say. 

In Australia, looks like it´s the other way, tough the first sense can be used.  The British seems like only one meaning is that of making progress/increasing

It was difficult, at first, to find anything about it; so I must thank Dale for the insight on the Ame. English (it was in that sense the newspaper  [American I must say]  collum  meant.    

Also, thank you Gus, for finding a new meaning to the idiom, the Australian/British one...I also have seen this in a discussion wich I am divulging an excerpt.  Maybe other learners would like to know.

And guys, my goal wasn´t to present a polemic matter, indeed I was in haste and had not found anything about it in the Web at the time. 

I am  writting this, because somebody in passing could think I had the answer before the posting, I had not. 

Again, thank you guys; I always learn much in the EMB.      

= = = = == =  = = = = = = == =  = = = = = = == =  = = = = = = == =  = =

EXCERPT.

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/on+the+up+and+up.html
If you are on the up and up, you are making very good progress in life and doing well.

http://www.languagehat.com/archives/000975.php
I read the commentary by Nunberg yesterday. I was quite surprised, since I am one of those who only use "on the up and up" to mean "on the level," legit, not crooked, dishonest or illegal.

"Another datapoint: I've always used it in the "improving" sense. Didn't know it had another meaning. 
    I have a feeling that this is the most dominant usage in Australia. If you restrict Google to only show Australian sites, I think you can get a sense of that.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ei=lkmJTJ-KEIL6lwfT8bkk&q=%22on+the+up+and+up%22+site:au&start=20&sa=N
Matthew Smith » Blog Archive » Libraries on the up and up
14 May 2007 ... Libraries on the up and up. It turns out that the popularity of Libraries has increased over the last decade according to the ALA. ...
blogs.library.uq.edu.au/ms/2007/05/14/libraries-on-the-up-and-up/ - Cached

I know it as 'increasing' (British)
Posted by: MM at November 14, 2003 03:05 AM

I also concur with John Hardy about the Australian usage; I've only ever understood 'on the up-and-up' to mean 'getting better', 'on the improve'.
Posted by: Rory at November 14, 2003 12:04 PM

be on the up and up
INFORMAL
if someone or something is on the up and up they are becoming more and more successful
Since the recession ended, our business has been on the up and up.
(American, informal) if a person or an activity is on the up and up, they are honest
You can trust Mick - he's on the up and up.
(from Cambridge International Dictionary of Idioms)
http://dictionaries.cambridge.org/define.asp?dict=I&key=up*3+0

Posted by: language hat at November 15, 2003 09:43 AM
Funny - when I try to imagine hearing someone say on the up and up (in any sense), what appears is always a character from Lovejoy (semi-comic British tv series about an antiques trader) - and he means it in the sense here labelled as American.
Posted by: Anton Sherwood at November 18, 2003 05:14 PM

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
One is UP and UP...  –  PPAULO  08/SET/2010, 8:23 PM
One is UP and UP...  –  Dale-USA  08/SET/2010, 11:07 PM
One is UP and UP...  –  PPAULO  09/SET/2010, 5:19 AM
One is UP and UP...  –  Gus_RJ  09/SET/2010, 12:13 PM
One is UP and UP...  –  Dale-USA  09/SET/2010, 12:43 PM
One is UP and UP...  –  Dale-USA  09/SET/2010, 1:12 PM
One is UP and UP...  –  Gus_RJ  09/SET/2010, 4:09 PM
One is UP and UP...  –  Dale-USA  09/SET/2010, 4:27 PM