Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  15/SET/2010 11:14 PM
Assunto:  acima da margem

Mensagem: 

Q:

Options
If we are over this number….
If we have a value beyond this margin ...
If we have a value above this margin ...
If the value is above this margin ...

A:
     In Portuguese (perhaps in English is different?), if you have to choose between two things, answers etc, you have options then. If more than two itens to choose from, then you have alternatives. Let´s wait something about that.

Using forward and spot market data from 2000 to 2005, the implicit margin rate for the S&P 500 futures has averaged only 4.08%; see Table 1.
The implicit cost of borrowing is just 94 basis points above the average 1-month Libor rate for the same time period and is 174 basis points below the margin rates for the same time periods used in our simulations. This is an underestimate in that we have not increased the performance bond as would be required when stocks fall. Doubling the performance bond to 16% would increase the implied margin cost to 4.56%—still well below the “call money” rate at the time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-hais-and-morley-winograd/its-official-millennials_b_144357.html
    Young voters preferred Obama over John McCain by a greater than 2:1 margin (66% vs. 32%). This is well above the margin given by young voters to any presidential candidate for at least three decades, if not at any time in U.S. history. In 2004, young voters preferred John Kerry to George W. Bush by a far more narrow 10 percentage points (55% to 45%).      Their unified support for Barack Obama combined with their high turnout made the Millennial Generation the decisive force in his victory. Young voters accounted for about seven million of Obama's almost nine million national popular vote margin over John McCain.
    ...While he may still have won in 2008 without young voters, Obama's margin and his political mandate would have been far narrower.
    Millennials identify as Democrats over Republicans by a 2:1 margin and Pew survey results indicate that they have done so since at least early 2007, well before Obama emerged as a well-known national political figure.
     Their propensity to vote straight Democratic was clearly evident in 2008 when young voters supported Democratic congressional candidates by about the same margin that they did Obama (63% vs. 34%).

Thus, I have an impression that "margin" often has a "rate/ratio/percentage" ring about it. So, "number" would not be a proper word here. But it´s me, let´s await confirmation on this.     Of course I am not picking the "border/limit" meaning, as used in medicine and "edge" when they talk about rivers. I am sticking to the closer meaning to the question.
    So, "if the value is above the margin of 20%/ 2:1 or well above the margin etc" it would sound fine to me; even about this margin (if you have shown wich margin you mean).

Perhaps, more natural; or maybe you meant "if we are above the average/above the sales quota"

In short, "margin" in the end of the sentence without no previous mention /explanation/commentary  looks a bit awkward to me.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/04/bachmanns-district-outpaces-national-average-for-census-returns.php
But with return rates that are about 20 points above the national average so far, that district could very well end up justifying its existence -- and we'll still have Michele Bachmann around.

29 Jun 2010 ... Local students also topped the state average on the FCAT science test and gained one to three points above the 2009 results. ...
www.gainesville.com/article/20100629/ARTICLES/100629403 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
acima da margem  –  student  15/SET/2010, 3:36 PM
 acima da margem  –  PPAULO  15/SET/2010, 11:14 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K