[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  26/OUT/2010 4:16 PM
Assunto:  Vídeo em inglês

Mensagem:  The video is a reminder of how difficult pronunciation can be.  The speaker is usually easy to understand, but he also makes quite a few mistakes.  By "quite a few", I mean possibly 100.  He really needs to sit down with a good teacher and go over the text word by word.  

In some instances he was guilty of what I have heard called "hypercorrection";  he is so concerned that he is going to say something incorrectly that he does.  An example of this is "homeland", which he pronounces as "humland" ("terra do canto com os lábios fechados"?).  Correct pronunciation is extremely important in English.  Even a small difference can mean that the listener will not understand.  Many times he mispronounces a vowel that is pure, a close copy of the vowel in Portuguese.  ("Teams" is another example of this.  The "ea" is pronounced like the "i" in Portuguese.  He pronounced it as the "i" in "it". In other words, he takes vowels that are easy to pronounce and makes them difficult to pronounce.)  I don't have a problem with his use of "gaúcho", but most English speakers will not understand him because we are used to hearing it as pronounced in Spanish.  For some reason he pronounces it "gochu", neither English nor Portuguese nor Spanish. 

One thing the speaker does right is he speaks slowly.  Speaking another language quickly doesn't mean we speak it well or that others will understand us.  "Airplane English" is routinely terrible.  Airline -personnel seem to be trying to impress their friends with their command of English instead of trying to communicate with passengers.  Sometimes I have no idea what is said between "Ladies and gentlemen" and "Thank you."  I also admire his courage to make such a talk.  He is not afraid to make mistakes, and that means he will overcome his shortcomings one day.  Criticizing (as I am doing now) is easy.  Doing is much more difficult.

The text sounds very good, very well written.  If there are errors, I did not notice them. 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Vídeo em inglês  –  Alex RS  26/OUT/2010, 11:46 AM
 Vídeo em inglês  –  Dale-USA  26/OUT/2010, 4:16 PM
Vídeo em inglês  –  Fran  27/OUT/2010, 1:56 PM
a sample video of Curitiba - Vídeo em inglês  –  Fran  27/OUT/2010, 2:00 PM
a sample video of Curitiba - Vídeo em inglês  –  Dale-USA  27/OUT/2010, 3:12 PM
a sample video of Curitiba - Vídeo em inglês  –  Sidney  28/OUT/2010, 11:12 AM
a sample video of Curitiba - Vídeo em inglês  –  Fran  29/OUT/2010, 2:38 PM
a sample video of Curitiba - Vídeo em inglês  –  Dale-USA  30/OUT/2010, 2:25 AM
a sample video of Curitiba - Vídeo em inglês  –  Fran  30/OUT/2010, 1:42 PM