[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  27/OUT/2010 2:54 PM
Assunto:  Vídeo em inglês

Mensagem:  "Airline/Airport English" is terrible.  Flight attendants try to speak as quickly as humanly possible (probably to impress the rest of the airplane's personnel), and the result is that only a fraction (1/4?) is understandable.  In Airports, the acoustics add to the problem.

This fellow did so-so.  He didn't do a wonderful job, but it wasn't awful either.  There nothing bad or wrong about having an accent, in my opinion.  That merely means the speaker is bilingual and has worked hard to learn another language.  His pronunciation could be improved.  (I see accent as being much more than a difference in pronunciation.  I see it as a combination of rhythm, emphasis, etc.  Others add vocabulary, gestures, etc. to that list.)  The audio would have been much better if a native had gone over it with the speaker, making suggestions here and there.  I think having a Brazilian talk about his own country gives a certain charm to the audio that would have been lost if an American or Brit had made it.

How did samba music pop up in Porto Alegre?  Why not a little MPB?  Or they could put some more Gaucho music in the background.  Chorinho?  I heard chorinho in the South.  And why not an explanation of the all the cuias in the video?  There are nice scenes of "o Brique", but I don't think the video told the viewer what he was looking at.  Well, the same could be said about the market.  It's a really interesting place.  Not much was said about it.  And all the camelôs outside?  They are cool!  Sete de Setembro was not shown.  Loved to go there!  And how about some scenes of Praia de Belas so that foreigners would know what beautiful shopping malls Brazil has?

The video was very nice.  Don't mistake my criticisms for dislike.  Even Miss Brazil probably snores or burps.  Nobody is perfect, except Fran and I.  And I need to talk with Fran about some things she does...   LOL

Going back to the subject of pronunciation, this is something we hear often on guided tours.  The guides are usually fluent speakers, but often their pronunciation is not good and they use incorrect terminology.  Surely museums, wineries, tour companies, etc. could hire a native to accompany a guide with a recording device, and then go over the recording later pointing out ways to improve pronunciation, giving the correct terms for things, etc. 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Vídeo em inglês  –  Alex RS  26/OUT/2010, 11:46 AM
Vídeo em inglês  –  Dale-USA  26/OUT/2010, 4:16 PM
Vídeo em inglês  –  Fran  27/OUT/2010, 1:56 PM
a sample video of Curitiba - Vídeo em inglês  –  Fran  27/OUT/2010, 2:00 PM
a sample video of Curitiba - Vídeo em inglês  –  Dale-USA  27/OUT/2010, 3:12 PM
a sample video of Curitiba - Vídeo em inglês  –  Sidney  28/OUT/2010, 11:12 AM
a sample video of Curitiba - Vídeo em inglês  –  Fran  29/OUT/2010, 2:38 PM
a sample video of Curitiba - Vídeo em inglês  –  Dale-USA  30/OUT/2010, 2:25 AM
a sample video of Curitiba - Vídeo em inglês  –  Fran  30/OUT/2010, 1:42 PM