ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  27/OUT/2010 8:56 PM
Assunto:  Caldron of Becoming

Mensagem: 

Does anybody know what a "caldron of becoming" is?

Here's the context: a room full of artists, poets, ministers etc. discussing new ideas.

"This place has become a caldron of becoming".

My impression is there is something something missing here, in this sentence.
"Cauldron" generally is a boiling and bubbling pot where you cook food, meals etc.

Not taking it plainly, it can suggest a place where there are plenty of ectic activity, many times putting people there under pressure.
     Maybe this is an example:

http://www.pepperexpress.co.za/2009/10/06/new-title-alert-captain-in-the-cauldron-the-john-smit-story-by-mike-greenaway/

Cauldron may be a difficult place or region to deal with, or that is likely to cause problems: 

http://www.mizozo.com/world/07/2010/07/the-caucasus-cauldron.html
"Of all the regions of the world, this one is among the most potentially explosive."

Cauldron can mean a  fast transformation in an almost chaotic and random way, almost in a unrule way.    I have seen in the Web, a sentence with ''...the cauldron of teens becoming men.";  what suggest the turmoil this phase can be.

It´s possible that the sentence "This place has become a caldron of becoming..." has to do this last definition (transformation in that way).  So it could be said in another way, for instance "This place has become a cauldron of transformation/changing etc"

But, without much context, I stop my trying on clarvoyance here!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Caldron of Becoming  –  Danny  27/OUT/2010, 4:16 PM
Caldron of Becoming  –  orlando  27/OUT/2010, 8:56 PM
 Caldron of Becoming  –  PPAULO  27/OUT/2010, 8:56 PM
Caldron of Becoming  –  PPAULO  27/OUT/2010, 9:19 PM
Caldron of Becoming  –  Danny  28/OUT/2010, 2:14 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K