[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  17/NOV/2010 5:12 PM
Assunto:  comprising situation

Mensagem:  "Catch 22" refers to something that prevents you from complying with it.

I took a correspondence course in business Spanish.  I could not take the final exam until all my assignments had been graded and returned to me, and I had to take the final before a certain date.  The problem was the instructor had not returned my last assignment and the date was days away.  I recall writing to the university and explaining I was in a "Catch 22" situation.  I could not do "A" because of "B", but the organization insisting on "A" was creating the problem with "B".

In the film "Catch 22", Major Major was only in the office when he was out, and he was out of the office when he was in.  So, when did you go see him?  (If I remember correctly, when he would leave the office, he would use a sign saying he was "In".  But when he returned to the office, he would use a sign saying "Out" so he would not be disturbed.)

Also in the film, you were not required to fly in combat if you were crazy.  To be determined crazy, all you had to do was ask for a psychiatric evaluation.  But if you were rational enough to ask for it, your request was proof that you were rational and therefore fit for combat.  What sane person wants to fly in combat?

An Argentine girlfriend told me that Argentine men had premarital sex but wanted to marry virgins.  So, did that mean they were having sex with other men?

Catch 22.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
comprising situation  –  Deivis  17/NOV/2010, 3:13 AM
comprising situation  –  Dale-USA  17/NOV/2010, 3:58 AM
comprising situation  –  Teacher  17/NOV/2010, 4:04 AM
comprising situation  –  José Roberto  17/NOV/2010, 11:40 AM
 comprising situation  –  Dale-USA  17/NOV/2010, 5:12 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K