ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  25/NOV/2010 1:08 PM
Assunto:  Out grown

Mensagem: 

Granted, but there are levels of knowledge, levels of acquaintance with the target language.  

I do know what a people living abroad feels when somebody in Brazil comes here and simply asks "como se diz procurador in English?" or "qual o sinal de trânsito que indica dar a preferência?"

An essay about the law system in the United States would be needed to explain that there is no equivalent but some close term or terms to it, or that there are more than one yeld sign.

But I take into account the level of the one that is making the query, in fact most of them (me included) don´t have higher levels of literacy.

On the other hand, it is difficult to know some minutes of Brazilian mores, take the example of Tiririca the one of  ad “what does a federal deputy do? To be honest, I don’t know. but vote for me and I’ll let you know.”  How to explain the guy having to take literacy test before that he can take office? and why he didn´t take the test up-front his candidacy? he he.

Translating is a difficult task, true, ask the guys  that have to make the subtitles in movies, the ones that are in interchange programs abroad (a guy said to his ''mother'' in the host family that she was "hot" and he meant "warm" people).

I, discussing the meaning of terms here have learnt a lot and it´s my pleasure to share.

Obviously, I am not supposed to be a translator, I stick to the Forum design that is to learn some English for fun and intelectual challenge; not replace the natives or the real translator.

I know my English sucks, but because I know little that I may refrain myself of extricating somebody else of some doubt while reading a newspaper item or some periodic, magazine etc.    

And I learn in the process; many times I myself am misled by some word with a new meaning or local usage.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Out grown  –  Carla B.  24/NOV/2010, 12:02 AM
Out grown  –  PPAULO  24/NOV/2010, 12:19 AM
Out grown  –  Carla B.  24/NOV/2010, 1:52 AM
Out grown  –  PPAULO  24/NOV/2010, 10:45 AM
Out grown (stick out)  –  Fox Fox  27/NOV/2010, 3:19 PM
Out grown  –  José Roberto  24/NOV/2010, 10:47 AM
Out grown  –  Breckenfeld  24/NOV/2010, 10:54 PM
Out grown  –  Teacher  25/NOV/2010, 12:05 AM
Out grown  –  PPAULO  25/NOV/2010, 9:18 AM