ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  25/DEZ/2010 4:23 AM
Assunto:  Knowing languages is healthy.

Mensagem: 

We know that. Still, doing physical and mental exercise improves those that experience mental impairment (well, at least age-related, I learned).

I read in a site: "Exercising regularly, not smoking, and monitoring blood cholesterol levels can reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease and keep arteries open, supplying the brain with essential oxygen and nutrients. Abstaining from alcohol can also help preserve mental function."

As for the mental handicaps (I mean the curable ones, tough it´s a blurring distinction) it may come from a number of reasons.     For example, teens are more susceptible to them and this may be (or maybe not) because of:

-They don´t have all cerebral connections formed, so this affects the judgment and other areas of thinking (like perception),

-Being long-term withdrawn child  (being a social outcast, for having no friend),

-Don´t having much family acceptance (or perception of it) can lead to depression, even suicide in girls and violent behaviour in guys.

-Lack of social support mechanisms like community groups, churches, and school or sports-related activities, that could act as a barrier against negative thinking, and allow the ones prone to depression to make better, more positive choices and engage in healthy practices.

-Alcohol intake

-Some types of diseases (e.g. adolescents with type 1 diabetes)
   -Society and culture pressure towards some behaviour patterns, that it values, encourages, and accepts but that is not good to psychological functioning

-Stress

-The pressure on them for trying to excel at everything

Under ADA "mental impairment" to include "[a]ny mental or psychological disorder, such as . . . emotional or mental illness."   Examples of "emotional or mental illness[es]" include major depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders (which include panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder),
schizophrenia, and personality disorders.

= = = = ==  = = = =

So, I think that mental exercise isn´t useful only for the olders, and learning one language is a mental exercise.   Anyway, I think the advantages described in the item were about the overall cognitive health in the long run.

This way to prevent mild impairment it´s advisable to heed the researchers who discovered factors that influence our ability to think and remember as we age.

These (factors) include well-known culprits such as alcohol abuse, and also newly discovered causes of mental decline, including chronic inflammation, vascular diseases, and even stress.  Speaking of a normal healthy way of life.

Of course one can develop, for example, schizophrenia and personality disorders and be good at two languages, that is in the realm of psychopatology, that case was not the one in the article. If I am not missing something...

Anyway, thanks for sharing your view.   

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Knowing languages is healthy.  –  PPAULO  23/DEZ/2010, 8:48 PM
Knowing languages is healthy.  –  Ricardo - EMB  24/DEZ/2010, 4:54 PM
Knowing languages is healthy.  –  CRS  24/DEZ/2010, 5:41 PM
Knowing languages is healthy.  –  PPAULO  24/DEZ/2010, 6:32 PM
Knowing languages is healthy.  –  Dale-CR  24/DEZ/2010, 11:09 PM
 Knowing languages is healthy.  –  PPAULO  25/DEZ/2010, 4:23 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K