ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  03/JAN/2011 3:27 PM
Assunto:  Aprender inglês morando nos Eua

Mensagem: 

Hi Brunna, hard to answer in one breath.

Anyway, there are some opinions that I, a layman, think you may deem as interesting.

Firstly, congrats; if you can see awkward (aka lacking) in your English it have to be good.  Somewhat, you are noticing in hindsight that you didn´t have enough training or that you didn´t have the right one (at least, for you, because different people may learn in

different ways).

I am glad that in six months it dawned on you.  And this might not be the end of the world.  Use what you already know to learn what don´t know yet.

Ask about idiomatisms, way of life, slangs, foods, and so on. Socialize, be curious as a kid in a theme park, ask somebody that you can rely on!  

Glad that you know that you improved, ain´t it nice?

You didn´t learn as much as you wished? don´t sweat it, neither do I and a lot of people around; so we are in good company.   Just don´t give up or think that you didn´t learnt enough, this comes with time.

Well, maybe the Dicionário de Expressões Idiomáticas (inglês-português - Michaellis) can be of use, for some natural (of the streets?) English you have the magazines like InTouch, People, and others.   For more serious talking you can read

The Economist, The time, Newsweek and others.

You must talk to people and express your anxiety, maybe getting it off your chest  help you.  The very fact of being humble and knowing that you have limitations can help;

once people knows that you only can get by, they get sympathetic and help you to fill the gaps.   

Sometimes the simple eagerness to memorize one word makes the learner draw a blank, that happened to me a lot.   When I felt comfortable with my friends in a course some time ago, I would say everything I wished, but when the teacher said it was test day, my mind inexplicably gone South!

Don´t know about others, but seeing words again and again is what do the trick to me. For instance, today I may find "shot" in a sentence meaning "injeção" (in a medical periodical for example) and next time I  "shot" in the aception of "tiro" (a shot in the dark - um tiro no escuro), then it may come as "filmagem/fotografia" and the list could go on and on and on.

The more you are exposed to the language the more you learn, that´s the trick.

Of course, after learning some word or concept you have to use it, or your English get "rusty".

Be careful with your audience; for example, respect age, background and the place where you are talking.  Just same way one don´t go to the beach in tux and don´t go to an opera sporting a trunk or a bikini.   The same happens to the choosing of words in a uni. and in the streets.

Be careful with internetese, slangy words, and even more with derogatory terms or the ones that can be perceived with offensive connotations.

As for intonation, I caught asking myself this: "when Brunna is watching a film she

ever thinks about it? I think not, she get so engrossed with the plot that she don´t take notice of it.    So, I think with time you will choose yours, but for the time being you will "do as Romans do" (thus you will have to choose wich Romans´ accent or intonation you like to emulate).

Problem is, you may feel like a newbie in specs (somebody that is not used to using spectacles).   One can choose one pair of glasses (find it beautiful), buy them and when climb up a bus to put it on, but then, think that everyone is eyeing you, so he is going to take them off, on and off (always that somebody look to him!)

Or a new driver just leaving the driving school and getting the driver licence, he may think all others drivers are judging their performance on the traffic. Believe me, they aren´t, with time you shut off your mind to things like that, and act without even thinking about it, it becomes a second nature!

Hope it helps, and the text is open to  further comments and corrections.

PP.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Aprender inglês morando nos Eua  –  brunna_  03/JAN/2011, 1:29 PM
Aprender inglês morando nos Eua  –  brunna_  03/JAN/2011, 2:09 PM
Aprender inglês morando nos Eua  –  Teacher  03/JAN/2011, 3:21 PM
 Aprender inglês morando nos Eua  –  PPAULO  03/JAN/2011, 3:27 PM
Aprender inglês morando nos Eua  –  PPAULO  03/JAN/2011, 3:28 PM
Aprender inglês morando nos Eua  –  brunna_  03/JAN/2011, 7:08 PM
Aprender inglês morando nos Eua  –  Teacher  03/JAN/2011, 9:20 PM
Aprender inglês morando nos Eua  –  Breckenfeld  03/JAN/2011, 11:05 PM