ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  PPAULO
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  07/JAN/2011 5:50 PM
Assunto:  Transfer

Mensagem: 

I would say "transfer to another department" it is broadly used in day-to-day Management (and HR) lingo.

Longman´s Dict.of Contemporary English definition is the same that sense, but

it explains that transference is the formal way.

There are companies that have a policy in wich of policy interdepartmental transfer in which any employee who has completed one year in company can take transfer to any other department if position exists.  You can also call it internal transfer (lateral move, more academical here). 

Transfer is a Management Prerogative, tough.  That is, the person who will handle your job transfer can be your boss, a general Human Resources manager along with

along with the head of the department you wish to transfer to.  Thus, it doesn´t necessarily be made at the employee will, many times even not at his request!  

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2000/dec/09/jobsadvice.careers3
   ...But take the example of Jane, who had been working at a communications management company in an IT position for six months when she realised that it wasn't a good fit. "I applied for the job thinking it was right for me but I wasn't enjoying it. I started to think about marketing because I had a friend who worked in that department and it sounded really interesting."

Jane didn't want to leave the company and considered seeking a transfer to the marketing department. But she was frightened of making another mistake. "Because I didn't know what the job involved, I spent a few hours each week in the marketing department to find out what it was about, making sure that I could do the job and that I would enjoy it," she explains. After a few months, Jane transferred to the marketing department and is now really happy in her work.

According to Nigel Ward, resourcing manger at Sainsbury's, graduates who want to transfer to another department should be open and honest from the outset. "There's no point doing a job that you don't enjoy because you will not be working to your full potential and it's not fair to your manager or team," he explains.
   Sainsbury's recruits around 80 graduates into its head office for various functions ranging from finance to marketing and 500 into its store retail management programme.     Of these 500, Sainsbury's loses about a third into other areas of the business.

Nigel acknowledges that "some people join the retail scheme with a view to transferring to another department. Although we don't encourage this, we would rather retain staff within the company than have them leave".
    Once you have decided that you are not happy in your current role and want to transfer to another department, what should you do? Begin by sitting down with your line manager and let them know how you're feeling. If you have a good relationship with your manager, it shouldn't be too painful. However, if you feel that the situation is too delicate, then it may be a good idea to involve someone from human resources.
    Assess why you want to transfer and make sure that, fundamentally, it's because the job isn't right for you. Being bored or fed up is not a good enough reason to transfer. All jobs have an element of routine and a cycle of highs and lows.
     And even though you may have set your heart on a job in another department, you must assess whether you have the necessary skills or potential. You should consider a period of career counselling before transferring.
     "Transferring to another department does not happen overnight," says Nigel Ward. "If one of the graduates on our training programme wants to transfer, we sit down and counsel them, find out what motivates them and make sure that they have the skills - or the potential to develop the skills - required for the new job. A transfer can take anything from a few weeks to months."

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Transfer  –  ABS  06/JAN/2011, 9:23 PM
Transfer  –  Teacher  06/JAN/2011, 9:49 PM
Transfer  –  ABS  07/JAN/2011, 10:21 AM
 Transfer  –  PPAULO  07/JAN/2011, 5:50 PM
Transfer  –  Teacher  07/JAN/2011, 5:51 PM
Transfer  –  Teacher  07/JAN/2011, 5:56 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K