[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  31/MAR/2011 4:13 PM
Assunto:  Fill x Fulfill

Mensagem:  Okay, now I better understand your question.

"above all, PDF Form Filler has a user-friendly interface to help you fulfill PDF form"
(In this sentence, "fulfill" means "to make whole, complete, carry out, satisfy a requirement, meet, answer, comply with, etc".  It does not mean "prencher/fill out/in".  "Form filler" appears to be the name of a program.  If "fulfill" meant "fill", the name would be "form fulfiller".)
("above all, PDF Form Filler has a user-friendly interface to help you meet the requirements of the PDF form.")
(We do not "fill a form" in English.  We fill out a form or we fill in a form, but we do not fill it.  We do, however fill a cup with coffee, fill a school with children, etc.)

INSTRUCTIONS FORM FULFILLING SURVEY FORM
 www.stat.gov.mk/pdf/SG2010/99-anketa%20a.pdf
(The meaning here is not clear to me.  I interpret it to mean "a document giving instructions that meets the requirements of a survey form."  It sounds like "gobblygook" to me, something written by bureaucrats to be read by other bureaucrats who probably won't understand it either.  If you replace "fulfill" with "fill", you will see that the sentence makes even less sense.  No, the meaning is not "prencher/fill out/in.)

Where do I obtain the New York State forms to fulfill the disclosure requirements to disclose my participation in a reportable or listed ...
(In this sentence, "fulfill" means "to make whole, complete, carry out, satisfy a requirement, meet, answer, comply with, etc".  Once again, it does not mean "prencher/fill out/in".
(Where do
I obtain the New York State forms to meet/satisfy/comply with the disclosure requirements to disclose my participation in a reportable or listed ...  Again, try substituting "fill/prencher" for "fulfill".  It should be clear to you that "fullfill" simply does not mean "prencher/fill out/in.) 

Has been of any help?

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Fill x Fulfill  –  student  28/MAR/2011, 4:41 PM
Fill x Fulfill  –  Dale-USA  28/MAR/2011, 4:52 PM
Fill x Fulfill  –  student  29/MAR/2011, 10:22 AM
Fill x Fulfill  –  Dale-USA  29/MAR/2011, 11:59 AM
Fill x Fulfill  –  student  30/MAR/2011, 8:25 AM
 Fill x Fulfill  –  Dale-USA  31/MAR/2011, 4:13 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K