ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale-USA
E-mail:  dale_thomas2004@yahoo.com.br
Data:  04/ABR/2011 1:50 PM
Assunto:  So sorry!

Mensagem: 

You are going to shoot me.  I am going to take back what I said.  Let's take a closer look at what you wrote:

It`s because they invest in education more than other country, doesn`t  it?

Your sentence is fine until "doesn't it?"  We would not use such an ending in English, preferring to use "don't you think?, I believe, agreed?, don't you agree?, isn't it, etc."  (My choices would be:  "don't you think?, agreed?, don't you agree?, etc."   "Isn't it?" is a good choice.  Yes, it's a repetition of how the sentence began, but "it fits".  "It works."

My problem was that I concentrated on "...(T)hey invest in education more than other country, doesn`t  it?"  ("...don't they?" would have been a good ending.)  I did not give attention to how the sentence started.  Again, forgive me for misleading you, giving you false informtion.  I was careless, and I was wrong.

Thank you for explaining "É porque..."  Now I understand why I often see "doesn't it?" appearing at the end of a sentence written by a Portuguese speaker.  

“How have you gone?” sounds most strange to me!  I think the man is merely making a joke. 

As you know, I live in Costa Rica.  A very common way to say hello or goodbye is "¡Pura vida!"  I've heard Spanish and English speakers say "Pure life!" and "Pura life!"  It is just a bilingual joke. 

There is an old Costa Rican joke about a "tombo pachuco" (Costa Rican slang for a "caipira" policeman) who answered the telephone with "Habla el tombo de la Calle Ten."  "Tombo" is old slang for "policeman".  It is exactly the word that a "pachuco/caipira" would use for policeman.  He said "ten" to show he knew a few words in English.  An American friend used to say thank you with "Muchos Garcías" (instead of "Muchas gracias").  And his "¿Por qué no?" became "¿Pulque no?"  ("Pulque" is a distant cousin of  Tequila.  Nasty, terrible stuff!)  In Japanese I have heard "Ohio, God save us!" (Ohayo, gozaimasu! = Good morning!), "Don't touch my mustache!" (Do itashimashite! = You are welcome!). etc.  Just jokes.

It is not common among Nicaraguans today, but in the past Nicaraguans often ended sentences with "pué" (comes from "pois").  It had no translation.  There was a joke about two Nicaraguans living in the USA who decided to speak only English.  They meet in the street one morning.  The first one greets the second with "Good morning, pué!"  And the second replies, "Good morning, pué!"

I heard a Nordestino joke years ago about two Brazilians who decided to only speak English.  With a heavy Nordestino accent, the first says "Good morning!"  The second with the same accent replies "Good morning!"  The first, noting the heavy accent asks, "Natal?"  And the second answers 'Fortaleza!" 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Banda larga  –  ABS  03/ABR/2011, 11:13 AM
Banda larga  –  Fox Fox  03/ABR/2011, 11:19 AM
Banda larga  –  Fox Fox  03/ABR/2011, 11:22 AM
Banda larga  –  ABS  03/ABR/2011, 7:46 PM
Banda larga  –  Dale-USA  03/ABR/2011, 10:12 PM
Banda larga  –  Fox Fox  04/ABR/2011, 12:38 AM
Banda larga  –  Fox Fox  04/ABR/2011, 12:56 AM
Banda larga  –  Fox Fox  04/ABR/2011, 7:08 AM
Banda larga  –  Dale-USA  04/ABR/2011, 9:27 AM